Lacrosse: UConn continues their win streak with a win against Temple Saturday

By Elan DeCarlo

The UConn lacrosse team defeated Temple Saturday to extend their five game winning streak. In their Big East opener, the Huskies defeated the Owls (3-7) 15-9 to improve to 6-4 on this season. UConn got tremendous production out of senior Lauren Kahn, sophomore Katherine Finkelston and sophomore Carly Palmucci, who each netted three goals.
UConn's Kahn, put the Huskies on the board with 23:59 left in the first half to even the score at one. Her unassisted goal was the first of three straight for Connecticut, which built a 3-1 lead in the first ten minutes of the contest.
Assistant Coach Chelsea Gamble noted that the offensive explosion came as a result of increased focus and risk-taking.
"As an attacking group, our unit began to believe in each other individually and started to take more risks. Those risks being shots on goal, takes to cage, which led to us finishing," Gamble said.
The team's ability to control transition was the key to the victory.
"We really stepped up for us in the transition which led to our control of the ball. The overall team game was there, working for each other to open up lanes, and capitalizing," Gamble said.
Kahn continued to lead UConn's offense in the first half, assisting on Finkelston's second goal to give the Huskies a 5-4 lead, and she later scored with a minute to go in the half to give Connecticut a 7-4 lead at the break. The senior midfielder, who leads the Huskies this season with 38 points, finished Saturday with seven points as she tied a season-high with four assists to go along with her three goals.
Two quick goals from Palmucci to start the second half secured the game for UConn. Temple hung tough throughout the half, getting a solid contribution from sophomore Nicole Tiernan, who finished the day with four goals.
The other Huskies to register goals Saturday were Kacey Pippit and Alyson Fazio, who each scored twice, and sophomore midfielder Madalyn Pimental who scored her fourth goal of the season in the second half.
The Huskies look to continue their hot streak against Rutgers. In order to keep their focus throughout the streak, Coach Gamble said, "Staying in the present will allow us to have fun and enjoy the game. Doing that let's us play harder, working for each other and winning games."
UConn plays Rutgers in Piscataway, New Jersey at 7 p.m. on Saturday April 5.