Men's Tennis: Temple snapped UConn's three game winning streak on Saturday

By Eugene Joh

The UConn men's tennis team fell to a 6-8 record this past Saturday. They lost to Temple University at the Manchester Racquet Club in Manchester, Conn.
The Huskies looked to continue a three-game win streak and bring themselves to an even record, but dropped four singles matches and a doubles match to the Owls before play was called on the No. 2 singles match.
Before that match was called, junior Jacob Spreyer was leading Temple's Kristian Marquart 7-6, 3-4. In doubles action, Spreyer teamed with freshman Chris Toner in the No. 2 doubles match, defeating Temple's Nicolas Paulus and Hicham Belkssir 8-3.
Playing the No. 4 singles match, Toner was able to take a set on his opponent on Saturday, responding to losing the first 3-6 by winning the second 6-3. In the ensuing sudden-death tiebreak, Temple's Filip Stipcic wrestled the match away, winning it 6-3, 3-6, 1-0.
Junior Wayne Harrell dropped his No. 1 singles match to Temple's Nicolas Paulus 6-4, 6-3, but picked up a win in the #1 doubles match, teaming with senior Ryan Carr to beat out Temple's Hernan Vasconez and Filip Stipcic 8-5. Carr was also in singles action, getting hampered in the first set by Temple's Hicham Belkssir in the No. 3 singles match en route to a 0-6, 2-6 loss.
In a very tight No.1 doubles matchup, junior Joshua Palmer and freshman Parker Goldstein were edged by Temple's Kristian Marquart and Vineet Naran, losing the pro-set 8-7. Goldstein was also in the #5 singles match, losing a tight first set 7-5 to Temple's Hernan Vasconez. A single break proved to be the difference once again in the second set, as Goldstein dropped the match 7-5, 6-4.
The Huskies look to rebound as they host Bryant University this Wednesday, Apr. 2, at the UConn tennis courts. The meet is set to begin at 3:30 p.m.