Men's Tennis: Temple snapped UConn's three game winning streak on Saturday
The UConn men's tennis team fell to a 6-8 record this past Saturday. They lost to Temple University at the Manchester Racquet Club in Manchester, Conn.
The Huskies looked to continue a three-game win streak and bring themselves to an even record, but dropped four singles matches and a doubles match to the Owls before play was called on the No. 2 singles match.
Before that match was called, junior Jacob Spreyer was leading Temple's Kristian Marquart 7-6, 3-4. In doubles action, Spreyer teamed with freshman Chris Toner in the No. 2 doubles match, defeating Temple's Nicolas Paulus and Hicham Belkssir 8-3.
Playing the No. 4 singles match, Toner was able to take a set on his opponent on Saturday, responding to losing the first 3-6 by winning the second 6-3. In the ensuing sudden-death tiebreak, Temple's Filip Stipcic wrestled the match away, winning it 6-3, 3-6, 1-0.
Junior Wayne Harrell dropped his No. 1 singles match to Temple's Nicolas Paulus 6-4, 6-3, but picked up a win in the #1 doubles match, teaming with senior Ryan Carr to beat out Temple's Hernan Vasconez and Filip Stipcic 8-5. Carr was also in singles action, getting hampered in the first set by Temple's Hicham Belkssir in the No. 3 singles match en route to a 0-6, 2-6 loss.
In a very tight No.1 doubles matchup, junior Joshua Palmer and freshman Parker Goldstein were edged by Temple's Kristian Marquart and Vineet Naran, losing the pro-set 8-7. Goldstein was also in the #5 singles match, losing a tight first set 7-5 to Temple's Hernan Vasconez. A single break proved to be the difference once again in the second set, as Goldstein dropped the match 7-5, 6-4.
The Huskies look to rebound as they host Bryant University this Wednesday, Apr. 2, at the UConn tennis courts. The meet is set to begin at 3:30 p.m.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- UConn ranks first for gluten free
- #ICYMI Five Things to Know About Today's Title IX Settlement
- UConn Reaches Title IX Settlement
- Women's Soccer: Hill in camp for US ahead of U-20 World Cup
- 'One Plate, Two Plate' Coming to Student Union for Fall Semester
- Supreme Court reaches landmark decision in Burwell v. Hobby Lobby
- Elizabeth Park in West Hartford
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit
- Pinching Penny Stocks May Be the Wise Way to Invest