Women's tennis: UConn defeates Seaton Hall in close matches

By Eugene Joh

The UConn women's tennis team battled to a victory over Seton Hall University this past weekend, splitting the six singles matches with the Pirates before clinching the doubles point to get the win in New Jersey. With the win, the Huskies move to 5-9; the Pirates drop to 10-6.
Senior Jennifer Learmonth was instrumental in the Huskies' victory, as she earned two come-from-behind victories; one of them was the tiebreaker of the match. In the No. 3 doubles match, Learmonth and her partner, senior Marie Gargiulio, found themselves down 4-7 to Seton Hall's Hannah Liljekvist and Anna Guryanova. After forcing a tiebreak by leveling the score at 7-7, the Huskies' senior duo closed out the match by winning it 7-4 for an 8-7(4) victory. With the meet tied at 3-3, Learmonth dropped the first set in her winner-take-all #6 singles match to Seton Hall's Alex Landert 4-6, before coming back to win the next two sets and take the match 4-6, 6-2, 6-1 to seal a Husky victory.
Sophomore Srna Stosljevic also earned two wins for UConn this weekend, winning in the #1 singles and doubles matches. Playing in the No. 1 singles match, Stosljevic took out Seton Hall's Chloe Sher in straight sets, 6-4, 6-2. In No. 1 doubles, Stosljevic teamed with senior Lucy Nutting to cruise past Seton Hall's Sher and Rocio Portela, dropping just one game to take the pro-set 8-1.
Nutting, who also played in the No.4 singles match, was beaten out by Seton Hall's Julian Keenan, 4-6, 2-6.
In yet another contested match, Shea Flanagan fought back in her No. 5 singles match against Seton Hall's Madison Shoemaker, leveling the match at a set apiece after dropping the first. Flanagan was unable to maintain the comeback, however, falling behind by two breaks in the decider en route to a 3-6, 6-3, 1-6 loss.
The Huskies next return home as they host Rutgers University this upcoming Thursday, Apr. 3, at the East Hartford Tennis Club. The meet is set to begin at 1 p.m.