Women's tennis: UConn defeates Seaton Hall in close matches
The UConn women's tennis team battled to a victory over Seton Hall University this past weekend, splitting the six singles matches with the Pirates before clinching the doubles point to get the win in New Jersey. With the win, the Huskies move to 5-9; the Pirates drop to 10-6.
Senior Jennifer Learmonth was instrumental in the Huskies' victory, as she earned two come-from-behind victories; one of them was the tiebreaker of the match. In the No. 3 doubles match, Learmonth and her partner, senior Marie Gargiulio, found themselves down 4-7 to Seton Hall's Hannah Liljekvist and Anna Guryanova. After forcing a tiebreak by leveling the score at 7-7, the Huskies' senior duo closed out the match by winning it 7-4 for an 8-7(4) victory. With the meet tied at 3-3, Learmonth dropped the first set in her winner-take-all #6 singles match to Seton Hall's Alex Landert 4-6, before coming back to win the next two sets and take the match 4-6, 6-2, 6-1 to seal a Husky victory.
Sophomore Srna Stosljevic also earned two wins for UConn this weekend, winning in the #1 singles and doubles matches. Playing in the No. 1 singles match, Stosljevic took out Seton Hall's Chloe Sher in straight sets, 6-4, 6-2. In No. 1 doubles, Stosljevic teamed with senior Lucy Nutting to cruise past Seton Hall's Sher and Rocio Portela, dropping just one game to take the pro-set 8-1.
Nutting, who also played in the No.4 singles match, was beaten out by Seton Hall's Julian Keenan, 4-6, 2-6.
In yet another contested match, Shea Flanagan fought back in her No. 5 singles match against Seton Hall's Madison Shoemaker, leveling the match at a set apiece after dropping the first. Flanagan was unable to maintain the comeback, however, falling behind by two breaks in the decider en route to a 3-6, 6-3, 1-6 loss.
The Huskies next return home as they host Rutgers University this upcoming Thursday, Apr. 3, at the East Hartford Tennis Club. The meet is set to begin at 1 p.m.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- UConn ranks first for gluten free
- #ICYMI Five Things to Know About Today's Title IX Settlement
- UConn Reaches Title IX Settlement
- Women's Soccer: Hill in camp for US ahead of U-20 World Cup
- 'One Plate, Two Plate' Coming to Student Union for Fall Semester
- Supreme Court reaches landmark decision in Burwell v. Hobby Lobby
- Elizabeth Park in West Hartford
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit