Men's track and field: UConn light it up this weekend at the Spring Invite

By Matt Kren

The UConn men's track and field won in the second UConn Spring Invite. Nine different members won events, which extends the huskies hot streak from the indoor season. Starting in the 800 meter, the Huskies had the top two competitors with freshman Michael O'Donnnell winning with a time of 1:54:32 followed by sophomore Nicholas Bertoline in second. Joining the pair were junior Philip Caldwell and junior James Agati, who finished first and second respectively in the 1500 meter run. Other first place finishes were earned by freshman John Landis in the long jump, freshman Demario Gray in the high jump, freshman Craig Hunter in the pole vault, freshman Randall Wall in the 110 meter hurdles and sophomore Aeron Sykes in the 400 meter hurdles.
Domination was the theme of the day as the Connecticut "A" and "B" team took first and second place respectively in the 4x400 meter relay. Earning points for the A team were sophomore Aeron Sykes, senior Paul DeSalvo, sophomore Justin Doehr, and freshman Patrick Hayes and for the B team, sophomore Kris Horn, sophomore Robert Hovanec, freshman Craig Hunter, and sophomore Harley Lacroix. Joining in on the domination were the athletes who competed in the discus throw, whereas seven huskies placed in the top ten. Senior captain Eric Masington, who had a throw of 55.29 meters, took first place as freshman Matthew Graziano, senior Samuel Smith, senior Jesse Chapman, senior Sean Walsh, sophomore Patrick Meyer, and sophomore Kris Horn also placed in the top ten. Rounding out the top five finishes were freshman Kris Horn with fourth in the javelin throw, sophomore Stephen Vento with second in the 10,000 meter run, sophomore Oluwatosin Edwards with third in the hammer throw, sophomore Harley Lacroix and freshman John Landis with fourth and fifth in the 200 meter dash and junior Amanze Williams with a second place finish in the triple jump.
This week the Huskies will be hosting the UConn Decathlon on April 3-4 at home.