Field Hockey: No. 4 UConn advances to national championship

By Erica Brancato
On November 22, 2013

• Shabazz Napier was named the MVP of the 2K Sports Classic after scoring 27 points in Friday's championship game against Indiana. Despite a 3 of 7 showing at the foul line, Napier was 10 of 14 from the field. JON KULAKOFSKY/The Daily Campus

The No. 4 UConn women's field hockey team will play for the national championship Sunday night after beating No. 3 North Carolina 2-1 in a shootout in the Final Four in Norfolk, Va.
 UConn came out strong, and Marie Elena Bolles put the Huskies ahead with the first goal of the game 4:42 into the match. Rosin Upton redirected a shot to the top of the circle where Bolles ripped it past North Carolina's goaltender Sassi Amer. Throughout the rest of the first half the Huskies were able to hold the Tar Heels to a mere six shots.
 North Carolina came out strong in the second half, earning three penalty corners within minutes of each other. The Tar Heels came back to tie the game at 43:43 when UConn goaltender Sarah Mansfield came out too far and North Carolina's Charlotte Craddock pulled left around her to take a shot on the open net. After North Carolina's burst of energy in the beginning, the rest of the second half was evenly matched. Each team fought in a back and forth battle, however regulation ended in a tie.
Two overtimes passed and the game was still tied, and the two teams went into a shootout.
Four players from UConn and four players from North Carolina went one after the other. The first two players were unable to score. However, the third player, UConn's Anne Jeute, was able to break the deadlock. She dribbled the ball to the left side of the circle and used her classic backhand shot to score easily. UConn's Chrissy Davidson was the next player to score. She managed to dodge Amer to get an open shot on net.
The Huskies were up 2-0 with one North Carolina player left. Sophomore forward Emma Bozek managed to dodge Mansfield who dove to save the ball, yet time ran out before Bozek could score on the open net.
UConn will play No. 5 Duke at 4 p.m. Sunday for the national championship. The Blue Devils defeated Maryland in the first semifinal.