The Weekly Brew: Beer in Brooklyn

By Joe Pentacost

Manhattan is always praised for its bright lights, big city life and, of course, its beer and food destinations—all too often leaving its little brother, Brooklyn, in the dust. Over the last few months, speaking to many locals and tri-state area beer fans revealed that in many instances, the options in Brooklyn are far preferable to those on the island. Let's take a look at all of the craft beer options available on the other side of the bridge.

Most famous, perhaps, is Brooklyn Brewery. Located in the Williamsburg section of the borough, Brooklyn Brewery has been a staple of the local beer scene for more than two decades. Though their beers are now distributed up and down the east coast, customers can stop in for a tour and taste beers at the source seven days a week (Mon-Thurs by reservation only). In addition to a number of beers available on tap, Brooklyn offers a number of bottles available for purchase, vintage and limited releases included.

If you're looking for some grub and a fresh pint, it will be worth your while to make the trip to Fette Sau to get some of the best BBQ on the east coast. Fill up a baking tray with pork belly, brisket, ribs and all the sides to share with some friends at the neighborly picnic table seating. Luckily, the beer menu is a perfect complement to the array of rich food; the tap list is populated with fresh local pilsners, kölschs, brown ales and porters, all relatively low alcohol styles that pair nicely with rich proteins.

Take a stroll across the street after your hearty meal and you will find the legendary Belgian-style beer bar named Spuyten Duyvil. Roughly translating from Dutch to "Spinning Devil," this Brooklyn destination has consistently ranked among the best bars in the United States for several years among beer enthusiasts for their eclectic selection of imported bottles from all around the world. During the warmer months, their outdoor patio is the perfect place to share a bottle of Belgian lambic and charcuterie plate with friends.

If you're looking for a bit more excitement, a few blocks away is Barcade. Don't worry, it's exactly what it sounds like: a bar and an arcade. With more than two dozen craft beers on tap, and walls lined with an equal number of all of your favorite arcade games from the ‘80s and ‘90s, it's safe to say that you'll be spending a couple of hours here.

Ultimately, these spots are just some of the beer attractions in Brooklyn and there is still much more to be discovered. During the summer, many beer spots are in comfortable walking distance, with a number of street venders, fresh local produce markets and restaurants on the way. On your next trip to New York, do yourself a favor and skip the big city hubbub of Manhattan to spend some time exploring the charming beer spots in Brooklyn. Cheers!