Column: College football's surprises and dissapointments

By Scott Carroll
On September 25, 2013

We are a quarter of the way through the college football season. Here are my surprises and disappointments thus far this season:
Michigan: Dissapointment
I get that Michigan is undefeated through 4 games, but they haven't made it look pretty. Off-season everyone talked about how the Wolverines were going to contend with the Ohio State Buckeyes for the Big 10 championship and how Devon Gardner was going to be the Heisman favorite.
The Wolverines have looked nothing short of awful in their last two games against arguably two of the worst teams in division one football (UConn and Akron) and Gardner has looked as if he doesn't have a clue. Let's hope Michigan can put it together before the Big 10 eats them alive.
Johnny Manziel: Surprise
Who would have thought that Manziel's freshmen year would have turned out to be just an opening act building towards the climax of his college career?
College football had a whole off-season to prepare for him while Manziel took the whole off season to sign autographs and go to Texas frat parties. Defensive coordinators still can't figure out how to contain Manziel and he seems to have gotten immensely better.
Maryland: Surprise
Remember when Maryland was forced to use a punter last year against Clemson (getting beat by 35?). Well, times have changed. The Terrapins have started the season undefeated and are going against ACC powerhouse Florida State this week to show the nation what they are made of.
Maryland is currently ranked ninth in the nation in points against through the first four weeks of the season with senior linebacker Marcus Whitfield tied for the national lead in sacks with 5.5.
If the Terrapins' defense can hold true, I wouldn't be surprised to see Maryland shock the world.
Jadeveon Clowney: Dissapointment
Clowney has looked less interested than college student on Facebook in the back of a lecture hall so far this season. He has been facing injuries, but the fire just hasn't been there.
He has sacked the quarterback only twice this season and made ten tackles. He might have the potential to be the best, but has been visibly taking plays off.
Coming into this year Clowney was seen as a sure fire Heisman finalist who was going to be an unstoppable force. Georgia head coach Mark Richt even went as far as to call him the greatest football player at any level. Maybe Clowney is just saving his effort for the NFL, but in order for the Gamecocks to survive this year, he's going to need to flip the switch.
Kansas St.: Dissapointment
Kansas State was America's sweetheart last year taking on the powerhouses of college football with a hard-working, Tebow-esque quarterback in Collin Klein and an school icon in head coach Bill Snyder.
Most were hoping that Kansas State's trip to the Fiesta Bowl would be a stepping stone for the program, but after an opening day loss to North Dakota State and a tough loss to reeling Texas last week, it doesn't appear the Manhattan, Kansas will be experiencing the same level of magic this season.
UConn: Surprise
You had to know this was coming. The Huskies showed the most heart a team in Connecticut has shown since the 2010 Fiesta Bowl season. Sure, the Huskies may be 0-3, but I'm not talking about their overall season.
UConn took Michigan to the brink last weekend losing 24-21. That's right, the same Michigan that produced Tom Brady and 1997 Heisman Trophy winner Charles Woodson barely made it out of East Hartford alive.
The Wolverines came into the game 17.5 point favorites with most of the Huskies own fans writing off the game as a blow-out. The Huskies showed a ton of heart and I tip my cap to them.