UConn ranked fifth in latest AHA Rankings

By Joe Crisalli
On November 27, 2012

So we're already a couple of weeks into the collegiate ice hockey season and here are the Atlantic hockey association power rankings; at least how I perceive them.
12. Sacred Heart (0-10-2, 0-7-2)
The Pioneers are winless with two overtime ties on the season: 4-4 vs. Army and 2-2 vs. American International. Division foe Niagara is next up on the schedule for Sacred Heart.
11. American International (3-6-3, 0-4-3)
Winless within the Atlantic conference, the Yellow Jackets have had trouble putting the puck in net scoring only seven goals combined in their last four games. AIC will face Army in their next game in search of their first conference victory of the year.
10. Rochester Institute of Technology (2-7-3, 1-4-2)
RIT has only one win in their past 11 games and have allowed 48 goals in those 11 games. The Tigers finished each of their last two games in overtime, with 2-2 ties in both of those contests.
9. Canisius (3-6-4, 2-2-2)
The Golden Griffins split a two game set with AIC defeating the in their last matchup 4-1. Canisius is dead even at 2-2-2 in conference play.
8. Air Force (3-6-3, 2-3-1)
Air Force has dropped their last two games, both of which were against Connecticut: a 2-1 loss and a 3-2 loss in overtime. The Falcons have fallen in their last three decisions and will face division rival Mercyhurst next.
7. Robert Morris (4-4, 3-3)
The Colonials are 2-2 in their past four games, and have a 4-1 loss to Air Force on their resume. Robert Morris' four wins have come against Canisius, Bentley, RIT, and Quinnipiac.
6. Army (3-6-1, 3-2-1)
Coming off of a 3-2 win over winless Sacred Heart, the Black Knights fell 3-0 to Brown in their last game. With only a 7-2 victory over division rival Holy Cross on their resume, Army goes into Bentley this weekend with something to prove.
5. Connecticut (4-5-1, 3-4)
After going their first six games without a victory, the Huskies are 4-1 in their last five games and swept a two game series this past weekend vs. Air Force. The Huskies will look to ride their hot streak as they face Canisius at the Mark Freitas Ice Forum this weekend.
4. Mercyhurst (4-5-1, 4-2)
The Lakers took one game out of a two game set in overtime this past weekend vs. division rival Bentley. Mercyhurst is 4-2 in conference play thus far, and Air Force is next on their schedule.
3. Holy Cross (7-3-1, 6-2-1)
Although the Crusaders hold a 4-3 victory over Bentley, they also withhold a 7-2 loss vs. Army and a 7-0 loss vs. Air Force on their resume. Holy Cross will face Robert Morris next.
2. Bentley (6-5, 5-3)
This past week Bentley encompassed both the Travel Team USA player of the week and Travel Team USA rookie of the week in sophomore defenseman Steve Weinstein and freshman forward Andrew Gladiuk. The Falcons have scored 19 goals in their last four games.
1. Niagara (8-2-3, 7-0)
At 7-0 in conference play, Niagara stays at No. 1 in my power rankings. The Purple Eagles are currently riding a six game winning streak and have only allowed two goals total in those six games, while shutting out their opponent in four of those contests.