The best moments at Morrone Stadium since 2010

By Tim Fontenault
On November 27, 2012

• Former UConn star Tony Cascio became the first player since 2007 to record a hat trick for the Huskies when he did so against South Florida in a 4-0 win on Sep. 24, 2010. FILE PHOTO/The Daily Campus

While basketball and football have always been seen as the two most popular sports at the University of Connecticut, the UConn men's soccer team boasts one of the premier soccer programs and one of the greatest fan bases in the game.
The Huskies (17-3-1) are the No. 4 overall seed in the NCAA Tournament. With two straight wins over Northeastern and No. 13 New Mexico, UConn finds themselves within one game of the College Cup, the men's soccer version of the Final Four.
The Huskies will take on the No. 12 Creighton Blue Jays, who defeated No. 5 Akron in the last round on penalty kicks, this Sunday at Morrone Stadium at 1 p.m.
A win puts the Huskies in their first College Cup since winning the 2000 national championship, and a sell-out crowd is expected at Morrone, a regular occurrence for a UConn men's soccer game.
The Huskies are looking to make Sunday the most memorable match any of them has ever played at Morrone Stadium. However, everyone on the team, from the freshmen up to the seniors, has been involved in some pretty spectacular matches in their time in Storrs. There are a lot of moments and matches that will last forever in the minds of the players and the 4,000-5,000 fans that fill Morrone each game.
As UConn prepares for its final home game of 2012, here is a look at five of the greatest matches and most thrilling moments at Morrone Stadium since 2010.
5) Sep. 24, 2011- UConn defeats arch-rival St. John's with two thrilling goals
One of college soccer's biggest rivalries returned to Morrone Stadium as an energetic crowd of 5,100 helped the No. 2 Huskies take care of their most hated rival, who were ranked No. 12 at the time.
Freshman Allando Matheson headed home his second career goal with 16 minutes left to give the Huskies the advantage, resulting in a back flip that has become the Canadian's signature celebration. Sophomore Mamadou Doudou Diouf chipped the ball over St. John's charging goalkeeper Rafael Diaz with a minute to play to seal the win.
4) Sep. 4, 2010- Sanchez's long-range volley helps Huskies beat Yale
In UConn's annual game against in-state rival Yale, the Huskies dominated their way to a 3-1 victory over the Bulldogs.
While Diouf led the way with his two goals, then-sophomore Jossimar Sanchez found one of the goals of the season. Off of a corner kick, the ball deflected to Sanchez who was waiting about 25 yards away from goal to rope a one-time volley into the top corner of the net, sending Morrone Stadium into an uproar.
3) Sep. 24, 2010- Cascio's hat trick helps Huskies crush No. 22 South Florida
Junior Tony Cascio recorded the first UConn hat trick since 2007 as the Huskies cruised to a 4-0 victory over the No. 22 South Florida Bulls. Cascio's off-balance goal from the corner of the six-yard box which completed his hat trick was featured as a Top 10 play on SportsCenter the next day.
2) Sep. 7, 2012- Wasserman golden goal free kick helps UConn defeat No. 21 Washington
In a nationally televised matchup, UConn and Washington went to extra time in a back and forth defensive battle.
After a Washington defender was sent off for a foul just outside the box, Max Wasserman and Carlos Alvarez stepped over the ball for a free kick, both clearly looking to go to goal. Wasserman was the one to take the kick, and in typical Wasserman fashion, the senior right back curled the ball into the top corner to give UConn a 1-0 win.
1) Nov. 25, 2012- Zuniga's first career goal sends UConn to the Elite Eight
After Diouf equalized for UConn with 14 minutes to go in the second half of their Sweet 16 matchup with New Mexico, the Huskies and Lobos found themselves only minutes away from penalty kicks.
With six minutes to go in the second period of extra time, freshman Nicholas Zuniga, who had gotten so close to scoring so many times down the stretch this season, scored the first goal of his collegiate career and put the Huskies into a showdown with Creighton this Sunday.