Good film, not right for Rainbow Cinema

By Zach Lederman

On Saturday afternoon, the Rainbow Center held Rainbow Cinema, their weekly presentation of an LGBTQ-themed film. This week's film was "Son Frére," French for "His Brother," a film focused on the relationship between two estranged brothers, and the way a devastating illness helps bring the two of them together.
The film stars Bruno Todeschini as Thomas and Eric Caravaca as Luc, two brothers, who, at the beginning of the film, have not seen one another for quite a long while. Thomas, the older of the two, arrives at Luc's home and explains to him that he is suffering from a rare and potentially deadly blood disorder that is affecting the platelets in his blood. He asks Luc if he would accompany him to the various doctors that he must visit, to various tests he must undergo. Through their frequent arguing, it is made clear that the two have not been close for a very long time.
The brothers gradually become closer, to the point that both Thomas' girlfriend, Claire, and Luc's boyfriend, Vincent, both take notice of their increasing closeness, and voice their concerns that they are losing their significant others to a newfound familial relationship.
Through the course of the film, the audience is made privy to the fact that the troubles between Luc and Thomas stem much deeper than is initially made apparent. Thomas' relationship with his parents, specifically his father, is heavily strained, with his father at one point stating that he considers Thomas to be weak, and he wished Luc had gotten the disease instead, because he is strong enough to actually beat it.
Though the audience at the showing was quite small, those who attended seemed to enjoy the film.
"This movie was wonderful, I especially liked the depiction of ableism going on within the film, in the way that others treated Thomas when they found out he was sick. It really highlights an important issue," said Jay Beaulieu, a second semester molecular and cell Biology major.
Beaulieu felt the film choice was odd for the Rainbow Center.
"It seemed that this film didn't really touch too heavily on LGBTQ issues," she said. "Yeah, Luc was gay, and his relationship with Vincent seemed slightly troubled, but other than that, the film didn't really focus on it. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I was definitely expecting a film that revolved more around LGBTQ that ableism."
Anyone interested in attending Rainbow Cinema can come to the Rainbow Center, located on the fourth floor of the student union each Saturday afternoon at 2 p.m. Next week's film will be "I Can't Think Straight."