Editorial: Online voting is a step forward for Connecticut

By Editorial Board

On February 18, Connecticut became the 15th state to allow residents to register to vote online.
Residents must meet all of the same requirements to be eligible to vote and have a valid driver's license or other form of identification issued by a state DMV. The new system is designed to make voting easier, and if examples from other states are any indicator, it should succeed. Connecticut should be commended for making the voter registration process simpler and more open.
Before this law was passed, it was necessary to fill out a paper form and either bring it into a local office or mail it to an address. Going to a website requires significantly less effort. This will encourage more people to register to vote and hopefully, eventually make their voices heard by casting a vote.
Additionally, the system takes many precautions to make sure the person filling out the form online is really who they say they are. By requiring a form of state-issued ID, the person must confirm both their identity and residency status. This guards against identity theft and voter fraud. The former is often a problem with anything online, while the latter is a problem in many elections around the country. It will be very hard under this new system to impersonate someone else online and register to vote in their name or to falsely claim that you are a resident and register to vote in the state. Security is always important and the state took the necessary precautions in this case.
Generally speaking, anything that makes it easier to register to vote is a good thing for democracy. It encourages more people to become voters, which means more people will turn out to vote on Election Day. This way, more people have their voices heard and public officials are more representative of all the people, not just those who have enough time in their day to take a form down to town hall and wait in line to turn it in.
We applaud Connecticut for its decision to allow online voter registration. We hope this will cause an increase in voter registration and a furthering of democracy.