Football: Diaco looks to bring new life in UConn program

By Matt Kren
On May 8, 2014

Coming off a 3-9 season, which included being 0-3 against top 25 schools, the UConn football team finished No.6 in the new American Athletic Conference.
In a season that started off by losing to Towson at home, UConn lost nine straight games. As a result, UConn fired head coach Paul Pasqualoni on January 13.
The nine game slide featured seven double digit loses, including a 62-17 loss at the hands of Central Florida. The Huskies were ranked No.63 overall in passing yards, No.119 in rushing yards, No.108 in points per game and No.86 in points against. To say the 2013 campaign year was a down year, would be putting it lightly. This season, UConn will be losing their third leading receiver, senior Shakim Phillips for an unknown reason, while only adding in eight three star recruits in the 2014 class.
This upcoming season, the Huskies have a lot of starters coming back, as well as time to work with their young quarterback Casey Cochran.
Cochran led the team last season in completions, attempts, yards and passing touchdowns as he replaced Tim Boyle and Chandler Whitmer after the nine game slide. The biggest positive for UConn next year has to be the hiring of head coach Bob Diaco, who was the defensive coordinator of Notre Dame since 2010.
Under Diaco last season, Notre Dame ranked No.27 in points against (22.4), No. 31 in yards allowed per game, No. 70 in rushing defense, an astonishing No.15 in passing defense and tied No. 53 in interceptions.
In the 2012 season, Diaco was the winner of the Frank Broyles Award, which is given to the top assistant college football coach in the country. Over the last four seasons Notre Dame has allowed 19.08 points per game which is ninth best for any team in the nation. Obviously he has a pedigree that a team and defense needs to win, but a coach can only do so much.
Every year brings a new chapter, just a year ago the basketball program was not in the tournament due to APR bans, but found the resolve to come back in win.
If Diaco and the football team can become the new "hungry huskies" and find a way to improve on last season, it does not have to be a bowl season, but just be competitive in every game; maybe 49 dollars will be worth it for next year.