Center for Career Dev. increase job numbers

By Cheyenne Haslett
On May 8, 2014

The longest recruiting season in the Center for Career Development's (CCD) history is coming to an end and should lead to better, more abundant job placement for seniors.
"Students who use the Center for Career Development, both at UConn and nationally, get more job offers and better salaries," said Michael Petro, Assistant Director of Institutional Relations at the CCD.
This year, CCD hosted recruiters on campus until May 2, the last possible day for employers to seek out future-employees on UConn's campus, resulting in a total of 224 recruiters, 2,136 conducted interviews and 6,617 job postings through Husky Career Link, UConn's online recruiting system.
In addition, CCD saw student involvement on Husky Career Link more than double. Over 9,000 students accessed Husky Career Link a total of 190,907 times, compared to the 4,015 students who accessed it around 73,000 times last year. Petro attributes this increase to a huge student uptake and more focused marketing by the CCD.
It is with these statistics that UConn graduates will leave the Storrs campus and embark on the job search-a trying task, Petro said.
"It can take months to find full time employment, and it takes dedication. You have to put in the hours and you have to put in the work," Petro said.
A survey from 2010-2012 graduates, conducted by the UConn Office of Institutional Research and Effectiveness (OIR) about six months after graduation, shows that an average of 55.3 percent of the recent graduates who responded each year, (about 26 percent of each class-were employed full-time.
With job placement comes job salary, which has become an increasingly important factor in the current epoch of high student loans and a struggling economy.
"UConn students are very competitive and they command very strong salaries because of the nature of the education they are given here," Petro said.
According to the results of the OIR's survey, a little more than 20 percent of respondents expected to make between $15,000 and $30,000 in income, while 27 percent expected to make between $30,001 and $45,000. Almost one third of respondents expected to make between $45,001 and $60,000 in income, and about 14 percent of respondents expected to make more than $60,001.
With 76 percent of UConn's students hailing from Connecticut residences, it may not be a surprise that the survey reports about two-thirds of responders to be employed in state six months after graduation. Within Conn., the three most popular cities were Hartford, Stamford and New Haven. Mass. and N.Y. came in second and third for the states with the most full-time employed UConn graduates, and both are tied with about 8 percent.
The survey also ranked UConn as the top employer of recent graduates followed by General Dynamics Electric Boat a company that specializes in submarines for the U.S. Navy, and Deloitte & Touche LLP, a financial firm. Petro lists other popular companies as Price Waterhouse Cooper, General Electric, Travelers, The Hartford, Liberty Mutual, Webster Bank, Target, Kohls, AT&T, Pepsi, ESPN, the Connecticut Department of Environmental Protection and many more, including volunteer services such as Teach for America, AmeriCorps and the Peace Corps. The numbers of graduates that are hired by each company are not always released, according to Petro, for competitive reasons within businesses.
The CCD offers office services to alumni up to three years after graduation, free of charge, and lifelong access to its systems upon request. "We are truly here for the seniors after graduation-we are a twelve month office with a dedicated team," Petro said.