Pro Side: Kevin Durant prefers the nickname "The Servant"
The NBA has always been known for its cool nicknames. From George "Ice Man" Gervin to "Magic" Johnson and "Pistol" Pete Maravich, the NBA has some of the most recognizable nicknames in sports. However, that hasn't stopped Kevin Durant from trying to conjure up his own nickname.
Durant told Simmons in an interview that he would like his nickname to be "The Servant."
Durant already has a litany of nicknames at his disposal that are far more dignified than "The Servant."
There are just initials, "KD," that show on his shoes and various apparel. Everyone recognizes that those initials are tied to Durant's name. It's very dignified and classic.
Next on Durant's arsenal of nicknames is "Durantula." It mixes Durant's name with one of the most horrifying arachnids to ever grace a child's nightmares. It flows perfectly and creates an image of Durant being one of the most lethal scorers in the league.
The last of Durant's nicknames is the "Slim Reaper." The nickname makes perfect sense. Standing at 6'9" and 240 pounds, Durant is quite slim, while the reaper aspect of the nickname gets at just how deadly of a scorer Durant is. Plus, the nickname conjures up the idea that Durant will be the last person you see before your team is knocked out of the playoffs, much like how the "Grim Reaper" is the last person you see before you die.
When asked about the nickname by Simmons, Durant said, "I like to serve everybody. My teammates. Ushers at the game. The fans."
Durant isn't the first athlete to come up with his own nickname. Shaquille O'Neal made a habit of it during his career, coming up with such monikers as "Big Diesel," "Shaq Fu," "The Big Aristotle" and "The Big Cactus."
Durant admitted that creating your own nickname isn't the most popular decision, but does like his choice.
"I know it's kinda weird to make your own nickname, but I like that one better," Durant said.
Currently on an ESPN poll, 48 percent of respondents think "Durantula" is Durant's best nickname, while "41 percent of respondents like "Slim Reaper" and 11 percent favorite "The Servant".
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- UConn ranks first for gluten free
- #ICYMI Five Things to Know About Today's Title IX Settlement
- UConn Reaches Title IX Settlement
- Women's Soccer: Hill in camp for US ahead of U-20 World Cup
- 'One Plate, Two Plate' Coming to Student Union for Fall Semester
- Supreme Court reaches landmark decision in Burwell v. Hobby Lobby
- Elizabeth Park in West Hartford
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit
- Pinching Penny Stocks May Be the Wise Way to Invest