Storrs Side: Men's basketball rises in the rankings to No. 21
After blowing out South Florida and surviving an overtime thriller against Memphis, UConn (20-5, 8-4 AAC) finds itself No. 21 in the nation. Last week, the Huskies sat as No. 24. UConn is currently No. 4 in the American Athletic Conference, 3.5 games behind first place Cincinnati (23-3, 12-1 AAC). UConn heads down to Philadelphia to face the Temple Owls this week, followed later by a rematch against Southern Methodist at Gampel Pavillion. Earlier in the season, SMU defeated UConn in Dallas.
Led by Shabazz Napier and his 34 points, five rebounds, four assists and four steals, the overtime victory against Memphis could be a galvanizing win heading into a crucial stretch leading up to the postseason. For his efforts, Napier was named the American Conference Player of the Week.
For the third consecutive week, Syracuse (25-0, 12-0 ACC) sits atop the AP Top 25 poll. However, Syracuse barely escaped with victories over Pitt and North Carolina State, opening the door for No. 2 Florida to receive one first place vote in the poll. Rounding out the Top 5 are No. 3 Wichita State, No. 4 Arizona and No. 5 Duke. Duke is ranked for the 132nd straight week, beginning in the preseason of the 2007-2008 campaign.
Saint Louis' 17-game winning streak has thrust the Billikens to No. 10 this week, granting them their first Top 10 appearance since December 1964.
UCLA and Gonzaga both reenter the rankings this week, at No. 23 and No. 25 respectively. They replace Southern Methodist and Pitt.
The American Athletic Conference has only four teams in the Top 25; Cincinnati is highest at No. 7, followed by Louisville at 11, UConn, and No. 22 Memphis at 22.
The Big Ten leads the way with five ranked programs. Michigan State (21-5, 10-3 Big 10) comes in highest at No. 13, followed by No. 15 Iowa, No. 16 Wisconsin, No. 20 Michigan and No. 24 Ohio State.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- Behind the Printing Press: Talent
- Delta Gamma appeals revoked recognition
- BREAKING: Two UConn Sororities and One Fraternity Banned
- Men's Basketball: Former Huskies take pride in UConn's fourth championship
- Men's Basketball: Different decisions, no regrets for Daniels, Boatright
- UConn Football is Back
- Column: Diaco's energy, attitude breathe new life into UConn
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Fall Foes: Watch out for These Stinging Insects
- Supporting Arts in Education
- Fishing and Boating are Great Activities for the Entire...
- Don't Get Blindsided by the Sticker Shock of College
- Your Online Reputation: Handle With Care
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- For Dwight Clark, the Catch Is Chiropractic Care
- Reducing the Likeliness of Back Surgery With Chiropractic...
- Enhancing the Curb Appeal of Your Home
- Maximize Your Teleconferences With Better Tools