Storrs Side: Men's basketball rises in the rankings to No. 21
After blowing out South Florida and surviving an overtime thriller against Memphis, UConn (20-5, 8-4 AAC) finds itself No. 21 in the nation. Last week, the Huskies sat as No. 24. UConn is currently No. 4 in the American Athletic Conference, 3.5 games behind first place Cincinnati (23-3, 12-1 AAC). UConn heads down to Philadelphia to face the Temple Owls this week, followed later by a rematch against Southern Methodist at Gampel Pavillion. Earlier in the season, SMU defeated UConn in Dallas.
Led by Shabazz Napier and his 34 points, five rebounds, four assists and four steals, the overtime victory against Memphis could be a galvanizing win heading into a crucial stretch leading up to the postseason. For his efforts, Napier was named the American Conference Player of the Week.
For the third consecutive week, Syracuse (25-0, 12-0 ACC) sits atop the AP Top 25 poll. However, Syracuse barely escaped with victories over Pitt and North Carolina State, opening the door for No. 2 Florida to receive one first place vote in the poll. Rounding out the Top 5 are No. 3 Wichita State, No. 4 Arizona and No. 5 Duke. Duke is ranked for the 132nd straight week, beginning in the preseason of the 2007-2008 campaign.
Saint Louis' 17-game winning streak has thrust the Billikens to No. 10 this week, granting them their first Top 10 appearance since December 1964.
UCLA and Gonzaga both reenter the rankings this week, at No. 23 and No. 25 respectively. They replace Southern Methodist and Pitt.
The American Athletic Conference has only four teams in the Top 25; Cincinnati is highest at No. 7, followed by Louisville at 11, UConn, and No. 22 Memphis at 22.
The Big Ten leads the way with five ranked programs. Michigan State (21-5, 10-3 Big 10) comes in highest at No. 13, followed by No. 15 Iowa, No. 16 Wisconsin, No. 20 Michigan and No. 24 Ohio State.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- UConn ranks first for gluten free
- #ICYMI Five Things to Know About Today's Title IX Settlement
- UConn Reaches Title IX Settlement
- Women's Soccer: Hill in camp for US ahead of U-20 World Cup
- 'One Plate, Two Plate' Coming to Student Union for Fall Semester
- Supreme Court reaches landmark decision in Burwell v. Hobby Lobby
- Elizabeth Park in West Hartford
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit