The aftermath: 'X-Play' and 'AOTS' canceled, G4 to end

By Alex Sferrazza
On October 30, 2012

Earlier this year, it was announced that the television network G4 would go off the air in an effort to rebrand the gaming/tech focused channel into one that is all encompassing of "men's lifestyle" in the mold of magazines such as "GQ" and "Esquire." The extent of the changes however is now known; G4's two longest running and most popular programs, "X-Play" and "Attack of the Show," will be cancelled by the end of the year, marking the complete end of the G4 era and bringing a period in the lives of many tech geeks who have been watching the channel for years to a close.

"X-Play" has been a staple of videogame television since the premiere of its current incarnation in 2003.  The show has covered major videogame news and events, as well as provided game previews and reviews, not to mention their famous comedic segments, but will be cancelled after the end of 2012.  The show, once touted as "TV's most watched video game show," has been losing much of its steam as of late. Much of this can be attributed to the departure of longtime host Adam Sessler, who has been with the program since it was known as "Gamespot TV" back in 1998.  Following a contract dispute with G4, the Sess abruptly left the program this past spring.  While longtime co-host Morgan Webb remains with the program, Sesser's departure upset many of the show's fans.

"Attack of the Show," which has followed X-Play since its premiere in 2005 and is considered to be the G4 network's flagship program, will also be cancelled. Known for featuring comedy skits, gadget reviews, and interviews with both entertainment personalities and tech industry analysts, the show was the go-to destination for "all the news you care about". Notable for launching the career of actress Olivia Munn, who co-hosted the program from 2006-2010, the show remained popular until the departure of long time host and creator Kevin Pereira earlier this year.

The final cancellation of "X-Play," "Attack of the Show," and the entire G4 network has been a long time coming. Virtually all of the network's original programming has been canceled, air time has mostly consisted of re-runs of "Cops" and "Cheaters" (both of which have nothing to do with the channel's original intent of gaming and tech related shows), and the scaling back of "X-Play" and "Attack of the Show" from airing five nights a week down to three and four respectively, it is no less upsetting. There once was an idea to have a TV channel dedicated to gaming and tech culture. While G4 has failed, it is an idea that could still attract legions of viewers if executed properly.