Two UConn staff members remembered

Couple’s unexpected deaths send sorrow through community

By Marissa Piccolo

Last Monday, March 10, members of the Dining Services and greater UConn community were forced to say an untimely goodbye to two beloved staff members. Brittany Holland and Casey Senechal, employees at the Union Street Market, were found dead from acute carbon monoxide poisoning, determined to be accidental, in a running motor vehicle in Lebanon, Conn.
Holland, 25, and Senechal, 26, had been dating for six months and were planning to take a cruise vacation in the Bahamas next week. Holland, of Hebron, had been working at Union Street Market for almost a year as a kitchen assistant, while studying Nursing at Three Rivers Community College in Norwich, Conn. When she wasn't working or studying, Holland was a competitive pool player and loved to play bingo.
"She was a beautiful, kind and loving person," her grandfather Bernard Bombardier told the New York Daily News. "She was always happy. Always smiling."
Charlene Couchon, a friend of the couple, told NBC Connecticut, "The entire town is heartbroken. Everybody loved [Brittany]. Everybody knew her. She was a shining star."
Senechal, 26, of the Windham and Lebanon area had been working at the Union Street Market for four years, working his way up from kitchen assistant to chef. He graduated from Lyman Memorial High School in 2006 and loved the Patriots and the outdoors, from camping, hunting and fishing, to canoeing and riding ATV's and UTV's. Senechal was a proud French Canadian.
His co-workers' at Union Street Market nicknamed him "Little Bear" for his famous bear hugs. To say he will be missed would be an understatement, those close to him say, and the smile on his face will be remembered as infectious. Family and friends were a big part of his life.
"They were very much in love," Bombardier said.
UConn Dining Services Management has brought in counselors to help grieving staff and students. Union Street Market employees took on extra shifts Thursday evening, to allow others to attend services.
A mass of Christian Burial for Brittany Holland will be held today, Friday March 14, at 10 a.m. in the Church of the Holy Family in Hebron, Conn. A mass will be held for Casey Senechal on Monday, March 17 at 11:00 am at St. Joseph Church in Willimantic. The Senechal family suggests donations to the ASPCA in his honor.