Student debt tops $1 trillion
This year student loan debt will now top $1 trillion and for the second year in a row top credit card debit, according to Rich Williams, Higher Education Advocate for U.S. PIRG, a non-profit, non-partisan public interest advocacy organization.
The increasing amounts of financial aid are becoming more and more of a problem for college graduates.
The average debt of a graduating student about ten years ago was $12,000 and only one-third of students had to borrow money to attend college. Now over two-thirds of students have to borrow money for college, and the average debt is almost $25,000, according to Williams.
However, Congress is currently considering a cut to financial aid, which would increase this issue even more.
Congress wants to cut Pell Grant aid, which currently helps subsidize over 9 million college students' educations.
"The Grant covered 72 percent of the average cost of attending a public four-year college in 1976, but only 32 percent of this cost in 2008, the lowest share in history," said Williams in a statement.
U.S. PIRG believes Congress should actually increase Pell Grant aid or at least allow it to remain the same to help subsidize the increasing costs of education.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- Delta Gamma appeals revoked recognition
- BREAKING: Two UConn Sororities and One Fraternity Banned
- Men's Basketball: Former Huskies take pride in UConn's fourth championship
- Men's Basketball: Different decisions, no regrets for Daniels, Boatright
- UConn Football is Back
- Column: Diaco's energy, attitude breathe new life into UConn
- Football: Diaco 'jacked' to get training camp started with Huskies
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Don't Get Blindsided by the Sticker Shock of College
- Your Online Reputation: Handle With Care
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- For Dwight Clark, the Catch Is Chiropractic Care
- Reducing the Likeliness of Back Surgery With Chiropractic...
- Enhancing the Curb Appeal of Your Home
- Maximize Your Teleconferences With Better Tools
- Two Sides of Curb Appeal: Beauty and Performance
- Using Subtypes to Guide Treatment of Advanced Breast Cancer
- 10 Things to Know About the New HiSET High School...