Student debt tops $1 trillion
This year student loan debt will now top $1 trillion and for the second year in a row top credit card debit, according to Rich Williams, Higher Education Advocate for U.S. PIRG, a non-profit, non-partisan public interest advocacy organization.
The increasing amounts of financial aid are becoming more and more of a problem for college graduates.
The average debt of a graduating student about ten years ago was $12,000 and only one-third of students had to borrow money to attend college. Now over two-thirds of students have to borrow money for college, and the average debt is almost $25,000, according to Williams.
However, Congress is currently considering a cut to financial aid, which would increase this issue even more.
Congress wants to cut Pell Grant aid, which currently helps subsidize over 9 million college students' educations.
"The Grant covered 72 percent of the average cost of attending a public four-year college in 1976, but only 32 percent of this cost in 2008, the lowest share in history," said Williams in a statement.
U.S. PIRG believes Congress should actually increase Pell Grant aid or at least allow it to remain the same to help subsidize the increasing costs of education.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- Column: Diaco's energy, attitude breathe new life into UConn
- Football: Diaco 'jacked' to get training camp started with Huskies
- Column: Davis in advantageous position to reach elite level for UConn
- UConn ranks first for gluten free
- #ICYMI Five Things to Know About Today's Title IX Settlement
- UConn Reaches Title IX Settlement
- Women's Soccer: Hill in camp for US ahead of U-20 World Cup
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- ¿Pensando en la jubilación y el Seguro...
- Raising Autism Awareness for Better Lives
- Erase Strokes From Your Golf Game -- No Pencil Required
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...