UConn gets No. 7 seed in NCAA Tournament, will play St. Joseph's in Buffalo

By Tim Fontenault

MEMPHIS - There was never a doubt that the UConn men's basketball team would be in the NCAA Tournament. What people may not have expected was that the Huskies would drop as far as they did.

The Huskies (26-8, 12-6 American Athletic Conference) are the No. 7 seed in the East Region for the 2014 NCAA Tournament and will play No. 10 Saint Joseph's, the Atlantic-10 Tournament champion, in the first round Thursday in Buffalo.

Should UConn win, they would play the winner of No. 2 Villanova and No. 15 Milwaukee in the second round Saturday.

UConn has not played an NCAA Tournament game since March 15, 2012, when the Huskies lost to Iowa State 77-64 in the first round. The Huskies were ineligible for both the Big East and NCAA tournaments last year due to academic sanctions.

Two other teams from the American join UConn in the East Region, which will go to Madison Square Garden in Manhattan for its Semifinals and Finals. Memphis (23-9, 12-6 American) is the No. 8 seed. The Tigers will play No. 9 George Washington in the first round, and the winner will play either the No. 1 seed, Virginia, or No. 16 Coastal Carolina. Cincinnati (27-6, 15-3) earned the No. 5 seed, despite being beaten twice by UConn this season. The Bearcats will play No. 12 Harvard, with the winner playing either No. 4 Michigan State or No. 13 Delaware.

Louisville, who beat UConn Saturday in the American Athletic Conference Championship Game, will be the No. 4 seed in the Midwest Region, where the Cardinals will play No. 13 Manhattan.

Florida is the No. 1 overall seed in the tournament and will play out of the South Region. The Gators have not lost since Dec. 2, when they fell to the Huskies at Gampel Pavilion on Dec. 2.