UConn applicant pool up 10 percent

By Domenica Ghanem
On January 17, 2014

• The Daily Campus

Nationally, universities are seeing their number of applicants drop alongside the rate of high school graduates, but UConn's applicant pool has grown by 10 percent since last year.

"Nothing speaks more loudly about the academic reputation, attractiveness, and value of a university like a huge rise in applications," President Susan Herbst said.

At Wednesday's deadline, there were 29,500 applicants. This year's applicants have SAT scores an average 12 points higher than last year. There was also a 16 percent increase in minority applicants.

The schools of engineering, business, digital media, and allied health saw some of the most significant increases in applicants.

About 3,550 students will be admitted to the new freshman class. It will be smaller than the current freshman class, but more in line with the class sizes from previous years.

According to spokesperson Stephanie Reitz, the university believes its affordability and environmental consciousness have made UConn an attractive choice for students.

UConn ranked number 25 on the Kiplinger's personal Finance's list of 100 best values in public colleges for 2013-2014, number 19 on the annual U.S. News and World Report's list of the best public universities, and number 1 on the Sierra Club's 'Cool Schools' list and Universitas Indonesia's GreenMetric World Ranking.

Director of Admissions Nathan Fuerst said rankings could be a very important measure for applicants and their families as they consider UConn.

The Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education said graduating classes are predicted to consistently decline nationwide and particularly in the Northeast. This is due partly to a change in demographics: the end of the second baby boom.

"The fact that we're seeing an increase in applications at UConn despite a decline in the number of students eligible to go to college is a really good sign," said Fuerst.