SUBOG Preview: World Movie Weekend in SU

By Zach Lederman

Both film buffs and lovers of history and cultures of the world, unite! This weekend in the Student Union theatre, students can view a wide variety of award-winning international films as part of SUBOG Travel and Film's "World Movie Weekend."
The films will begin Friday, Feb. 28 with "Life is Beautiful" at 2:30 p.m., representing Italian film, "Dabangg" at 4:30 p.m. representing Indian film and "Pan's Labyrinth" at 6:30 p.m., representing Spanish film.
On Saturday, March 1, the features will be "The Motorcycle Diaries" at 12:30 p.m., representing Latin America, "Oldboy" at 2:30 p.m., a South Korean film and "Amelie" at 4:30 p.m., a French film, which is the final show of the program.
Each of these films have either won or been nominated for multiple awards, both foreign and abroad, and represent the very best of their respective foreign film industries.
All showings are free of charge. The program promises to be a fun experience for those interested in learning more about different cultures, or for anyone that simply loves watching quality films. There will also be contests at each showing, with DVDs of each film making up the available prizes.
For anyone who requires more information on the program, Victoria Kallsen, the SUBOG Travel Chairperson, or Brendon Field, the SUBOG Film Chairperson, can each be reached at Victoria.Kallsen@uconn.edu or Brendon.Field@uconn.edu, respectively. More information is also available on the SUBOG website, at subog.uconn.edu.