Horse Symposium offers 'action-packed' days

By David Weigand

The Department of Animal Science is hosting the 2014 Connecticut Horse Symposium March 1 and 2 at the Horsebarn Hill Arena.
The two-day equine extravaganza is sponsored in part by UConn's College of Agricultural and Natural Resources, Tufts University's Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine and the Connecticut Farm Bureau.
In a video interview posted on the webpage, Dr. Jenifer Nadeau said that they have "a very active and exciting" couple of days planned. Nadeau, who joined the Department of Animal Science in 2001, teaches classes in horse science, advises the UConn Equine Club and takes an active role in the Sigma Alpha Sorority, an organization for "cultivating professional women in agriculture" according to their website. She has also authored and coauthored numerous publications of agricultural and equine interest. With a storied involvement in horse's affairs, Nadeau is sure to prove an invaluable fixture for the symposium.
This weekend will feature a total of 14 action-filled hours, with events planned from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. both days. There are events for just about anyone with an interest in riding; a raffle for a free equine laser session, a three-hour clinic titled "How Position Affects the Horse and Understanding the 'Problem Horse'" with A Brooke Farr, Equine LLC and a performance by the UConn Morgan Drill Team.
On Sunday, there will be a Miniature horse show, and as Dr. Nadeau points out, "minis are becoming all the rage in the horse world." The mini event will feature three categories: halter jumping, halter obstacle and pleasure/show driving. Adorable miniatures will show their stuff and "drivers and handlers will gain confidence learning some basic techniques," according to the the symposium website.
Finishing off the symposium with style are the Dressage Team's musical freestyle at 12:15 Sunday afternoon and a UConn Polo match at 2 p.m.
The event is pay-at-the-door for spectators. Non-UConn visitor admission is $15 on the first day and $10 on the second. Admission is $5 for visitors ages 9 to 18, 4-H leaders/members, UConn students, youth groups and senior citizens.
If you'd like to bring in a horse, you must fill out the Equine Health Form (provided on the Horse Symposium website). To find out more information, contact jenifer.nadeau@uconn.edu.