Trayvon Martin's mom speaking Fri.

Two years after her son’s death she advocates gun violence awareness

By Kathleen McWilliams

• USG vice presidential candidates Claire Price and David Rifkin speak at the debate on Thursday, Feb. 27. Presidential candidates Mark Sargent and Carlyle Bethel answered questions by a panel of student leaders. Santaigo Pelaez/The Daily Campus

The Fred H. Simmons African American Cultural Center will welcome Sybrina Fulton Friday evening, advocate for gun violence awareness and mother of Trayvon Martin.
Fulton's visit comes two days after the two-year anniversary of her son's death on Feb. 26, 2012, in Sanford, Florida. Seventeen-year-old Martin was walking home from a convenience store with Skittles and juice when he was spotted by George Zimmerman, who reported to police that Martin looked suspicious. After being told not to follow Martin by the police dispatcher, Zimmerman and Martin engaged in an altercation that ultimately ended with Martin being fatally shot in the chest.
The shooting shocked the nation due to the racial connotations of the incident and called into question laws such as Florida's "Stand Your Ground Law" that condone gun violence.
In the wake of Martin's death, Fulton and her husband Tracy founded the Trayvon Martin Foundation which strives to promote awareness of gun violence and to support families who are the victims of such violence. The foundations purpose, according to their website, is to "advocate that crime victims and their families are not ignored in the discussions about violent crime to increase public awareness of all forms of racial ethnic and gender profiling educate youth on conflict resolution techniques and to reduce the incidences where confrontations between strangers turn deadly."
Through the Trayvon Martin Foundation, Fulton and Martin support other families that have been affected by gun violence. During the recent trial of Michael Dunn, who was accused of the murder of Jordan Davis, a young African-American man, Fulton spoke out in support of Davis's parents.
"The killing is yet another reminder that, in Florida, racial profiling and stereotypes may serve as the basis for imaginary fear and the shooting and killing of young teenagers," Martin and Fulton said in a statement.
The event will take place in the Student Union Ballroom at 6 p.m. Friday evening. It is free to the public.