Softball: Huskies go to BU with chance to extend win streak
After sweeping Memphis at home to pick up its first two American Athletic Conference wins, UConn will take on Boston University on the road in an attempt to extend their win streak to three games.
The Huskies improved to 7-20 on the season with their two wins against Memphis this weekend, snapping a nine-game losing streak. Senior Lauren Duggan played a pivotal role in the first game of the series, throwing a complete game and scattering five hits while striking out three in a 4-1 win.
The second game featured a three-run home run from sophomore Lexi Gifford to help propel the Huskies to a 9-6 victory. Gifford hit .500 on the weekend with four RBI, and was rewarded by being placed on the AAC weekly honor roll.
UConn hopes to stay hot at the plate as they head to Boston for its first game of the week. The Huskies will need strong performances from the middle of their lineup, to defeat the Terriers.
The Huskies are lead by sophomores Val Sadowl and Gifford, who are first and second for the Huskies, respectively, in batting average and on-base percentage. First baseman Audrey Grinnell provides the bulk of the power in the UConn lineup with a team-leading four home runs and 16 RBIs.
BU is 14-12 on the season and is led by Jayme Mask, who leads the Terriers in nearly every offensive category, including batting average, hits and total bases. BU has dropped two games in a row, losing their most recent game to Army 9-3 in West Point, N.Y.
Last season, BU defeated the Huskies 5-4 in their only matchup of the season. UConn took a 2-1 lead into the fifth inning but was unable to close it out, as the Terriers scored four runs in the fifth and sixth innings and held off a late UConn rally to get the win. Duggan took the loss for UConn, which dropped the Huskies to 25-25 on the season.
UConn will take on the Terriers at 4 p.m. at the BU Softball Complex.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- Behind the Printing Press: Talent
- Delta Gamma appeals revoked recognition
- BREAKING: Two UConn Sororities and One Fraternity Banned
- Men's Basketball: Former Huskies take pride in UConn's fourth championship
- Men's Basketball: Different decisions, no regrets for Daniels, Boatright
- UConn Football is Back
- Column: Diaco's energy, attitude breathe new life into UConn
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Fall Foes: Watch out for These Stinging Insects
- Supporting Arts in Education
- Fishing and Boating are Great Activities for the Entire...
- Don't Get Blindsided by the Sticker Shock of College
- Your Online Reputation: Handle With Care
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- For Dwight Clark, the Catch Is Chiropractic Care
- Reducing the Likeliness of Back Surgery With Chiropractic...
- Enhancing the Curb Appeal of Your Home
- Maximize Your Teleconferences With Better Tools