Is David Moyes the right man for United?

By Robert Moore

Manchester United has been struggling mightily this season in the Premier League and just about every cup competition and whether the lack of composure on the pitch should be attributed to the players in the squad, the longing for Sir Alex Ferguson or the poor management from David Moyes, United need an overhaul.
The most unsettling of all of United's struggles this season is the fact that the same makeup of players (for the most part) as the squad that won the Premier League last season. Sir Alex Ferguson made every United player, whether he was top class or not, a superb player. With a work rate bar none and the dreaded hairdryer treatment, which players feared in the dressing room, the entirety of Old Trafford were at every beck and call of the manager.
So far this season, David Moyes has done anything but instill a sense of power over his players, or even supporters for that matter. Moyes appears far too timid in the press, assuring everyone all is well in the world when it's not.
This is not Manchester United - do not let David Moyes fool you.
At the start of the season, "The Chosen One" banner hung proudly over the Stretford End of Old Trafford. Now, the banner is lucky to be intact. However, continued results and a bowing out of the Champions League to Bayern Munich could see that banner be magically ripped to shreds. Then again, to beat the Bavarians, or even tie them, would be a feat in and of itself.
Plain and simple, Manchester United has not been playing to the standards which they've set forth during the past two years. Far too often, Ashley Young, Antonio Valencia and even Adnan Januzaj have been drifting too far wide and focusing primarily on crosses into the box, which have gone begging. Moyes continues to play Nemanja Vidic, who has made it clear he will be leaving for Inter Milan at season's end. While Moyes has plenty of youth in his squad - including, but not limited to. Phil Jones, Chris Smalling, Jonny Evans and even Tom Cleverley - when he does employ those younger players, Moyes does not put them in the correct positions to succeed.
While the entirety of Manchester United seems to be crumbling down, Wayne Rooney has kept United afloat. Rooney's utter brilliance in front of the net, willingness to defend and deafening tackles have been the silver lining for the struggling reds of Manchester. And whatever rift there may be present between Robin van Persie and Rooney, the Dutchman must get over it and fast. Rooney is here to stay.
There is chaos building in Manchester. The city no longer appears to be red. as Manchester City have quite handily painted every street corner Citizen blue. Supporters of Manchester United now pay for banners to fly far above Old Trafford saying "Moyes Out" as the supporters have become fed up.
It is apparent that the "20 times, 20 times," chants are few and far between. Supporters are now speaking up against Moyes as he sits in his technical area and even having a few choice words with the retired Ferguson.
Manchester United and the Glazer ownership may have made a six-year mistake, one that could easily be terminated at seasons end. Just as Arsenal have stood by Arsene Wenger during their own trials and tribulations, it would appear that Manchester United will do the same. Even though United are quite noticeably a bigger worldwide club than the Gunners, Moyes' back is pinned against the wall. Ryan Giggs has his apparent rift with the manager, which is quite unsettling due to Giggs' 20 plus years of service to his beloved club.
More importantly, United are suppose to be coming to the United States this summer for an "International Champions Cup." Talk about an utter disappointment should United fail to qualify for even the Europa League. Then again, as it's a World Cup year I would expect if results continue, a few notables not on international duty will fail to make an appearance in the United States.
All in all, United are falling and the blame game continues. However, should United somehow or someway get past Bayern Munich in the Champions League, all hell would break loose.