New Daily Campus promotions

By Marissa Piccolo

The Daily Campus Board of Directors has chosen the new student management team for the upcoming Fall 2014 to Spring 2015 year. Brian Kavanagh will serve as business manager, Kathleen McWilliams as managing editor, and Katherine Tibedo, will serve as editor in chief.
The team considers reconnecting with the UConn student body their main focus.
"Keeping readership up and making sure students keep picking up a physical copy of our paper is important," McWilliams said, "which we can do through good headline writing and better pictures."
McWilliams is a current senior staff writer.
"I want us to be more involved with the student body," said Tibedo, who is the present news editor, "and that every student knows we're where to go to when they want information about something going on at UConn."
Along with including more content that's attractive to students, Tibedo hopes to make the paper more visible on campus through sponsoring small events. Examples include current events panels and having the photography department host a free portraits sessions in the Student Union.
"I've been involved since my freshman year and moving up the more involved I was, the more ideas I had for how to make the paper better," Tibedo said. "The editor-in-chief position was really appealing to me because it gave me a way to continue to help make it better."
The team also hopes to make the paper more accessible to the student body. They hope to build its social media presence and become more student and user-friendly, said Kavanagh, who works this semester as online marketing manager.
"Balancing the budget, as always, and insuring profitability will be key," Kavanagh said.
As managing editor, McWilliams will be responsible for all designers and copy editors on a nightly basis. She noted that professionalism, functioning well and minimizing errors, is are her main priorities. "The position is really hands-on and I like that," said McWilliams, "We've gotten a lot of compliments on how professional our paper is and I want to keep it that way."
Both McWilliams and Tibedo will work to establish a training program for new writers, to offset the loss of many talented graduating seniors and the experience gap. Along with continuing to give constructive criticism, "News Seminars" have been proposed to get writers to interact more and build a stronger newsroom.