Passover meals at Nosh Kitchen

Gelfenbein Commons offers special meals for holiday

By Julia Werth

• The Nosh Kitchen in Gelfenbein Commons will be serving breakfast, lunch, and dinner to students for Passover. Two seders will be served at the Hillel House seen above. Dietary restrictions on Passover include food made of five grains - oats, spelt, barley, rye, and wheat. Natalia Pylypyszyn/The Daily Campus

The Nosh Kitchen in Gelfenbein Commons will be serving Passover breakfasts, lunches and dinners to students who register on the dining services website from April 14 through April 22.
The two seders, April 14 and 15, will be served at the Hillel House as well as in the Rome Ballroom by the Chabad house.
This year will be the eighth year that the Nosh Kitchen is making the kosher dietary restrictions of Passover easy for all Jewish students to follow.
"During Passover you can't eat food made of the five grains - oats, spelt, barley, rye and wheat - in addition to the regular kosher restrictions, this means that there are a lot of prepared foods we can't use anymore," said Bruce Hessing, an Area Assistant Manager and Kosher Food Production Coordinator in Dining Services.
When the Passover meals first began eight years ago, a lot of food prepared specifically for Passover was bought and served by the Nosh Kitchen.
"Now we use as few prepared products as possible," Hessing said, "instead we serve a lot of meat, poultry, fresh vegetables and some really good Passover desserts."
It isn't only the food that is of concern during Passover however. The kitchen that the food is prepared in must also be kashered - made pristinely clean - before the holiday begins.
"We clean the meat kitchen from top to bottom which takes three to four days, then we replace all the equipment with equipment that we only use during Passover," said Stuart Snyder, a Mashgiach/chef assistant in the Nosh Kitchen.
This cleaning process would be impossible were it not for the two kitchen set up provided. While the meat kitchen is being cleaned, the dairy kitchen is used, then it is completely closed for the extent of the holiday.
This two feature design is a feature that many non-Jewish students appreciate year round and will miss during the eight days of Passover when registration for kosher meals is required.
"A kosher meat kitchen doesn't contain even one drop of dairy which makes it great for lactose intolerant people," Snyder said.
Vegetarians, on the other hand, benefit from the fact that absolutely no meat is allowed within the dairy kitchen.
"We get a lot of people who like all natural food too," Hessing said. "Because of the numbers the dining halls must serve they have to buy prepared food. We are smaller, so we can do a whole lot more from scratch."
UConn was one of the first schools to serve kosher food in a food court style dining hall and is one of the only schools that makes it available to all students. This was made possible by the contributions of many Jewish communities across Connecticut, but especially because of the donations of Morris N. Trachten, a Jewish UConn alum, who understood the need for a dining unit devoted to kosher cooking.
To register for the Passover meals students need to fill out the Passover Request Form, available on the Dining Services website.