Bioethics club launches 'The Ethical Biologist'

By Marissa Piccolo

The UConn Bioethics Club is hosting a launch party event for their second edition of The Ethical Biologist this Friday April 4th from 2:30p.m. to 4:30p.m. in the Dodd Center.
The Ethical Biologist was first published by the Bioethics club last year and is UConn's single peer-reviewed undergraduate research journal. This means it publishes only original work from undergraduates at UConn and around the world. All papers published are reviewed and approved by undergraduate students.
The purpose of the Bioethics club is to "discuss the ethical rewards and ramifications of modern biological issues in a professional manner" according to their mission statement. The group hopes to incorporate various viewpoints into debates and discussion materials, meeting regularly to consider ethical case studies and current events that raise bioethical questions.
The Ethical Biologist publishes original research articles, short opinion pieces, and "field notes" written with a more personal voice based on relevant personal experience. All cover contemporary bioethics topics.
"We've grown tremendously in the last two years as a result of creating The Ethical Biologist," said president Megan Rowland, graduating Psychology and Physiology & Neurobiology double major. Rowland has been involved in the club since her freshman year and has been serving as president for the last two.
"When I joined, the Bioethics club was a niche organization that was perpetually in danger of losing its status as a registered student organization because it had so few members," Rowland said.
Today, the Bioethics Executive Board alone has more members than the club's general membership during her freshman year and holds 2-3 special events per year.
Last year, writers had to be comfortable in the bioethics field to have a chance of being published as a way to establish legitimacy for their new journal. Most work published was written by undergraduate bioethics students for other bioethics students. However, the second edition is more disciplinary and accessible, seeking to draw the attention of the UConn community as a whole.
"The second edition is slightly different in that more of our authors are not formally studying bioethics, they just find the subject fascinating. I think this had led to our second edition being a really fantastic mix of technical bioethics and applied bioethics research, with our authors coming from a host of different backgrounds and drawing on a variety of different experiences," Rowland said.
"Bioethics is an interesting and important topic for all undergrads to think about and we try to convince everyone of that!"