Women's track: UConn competes in AAC Championship at the Armory
The UConn women's track team will travel to the Armory in New York City this weekend to compete in the inaugural American Athletic Conference Indoor Track and Field Championships.
The Huskies are coming into this tournament on a high note, as 14 individuals posted personal bests the last time out at Boston University's Scarlet and White Invitational.
The team is looking to continue to ride the momentum gained last time out through these championships.
"We are very excited about competing this weekend," said associate head coach Clive Terrelonge about competing in the championship events. "It's a chance for us to step into this new conference and set the tone right away. Our athletes have great school spirit and fortitude, which will be on display this weekend. We have a shot to be at the top and I am sure they will maximize their potential this weekend. We have some excellent senior leaders who will lead the way this weekend."
One of those senior leaders is sprinter Celina Emerson. Emerson was named AAC Track athlete of the week for the second consecutive week following the last meet on Feb. 15. Emerson has been spectacular this season, breaking the school record in the 400 meter dash with a time of 53.38 seconds, which was also good for tops in the conference, and 14th best nationally.
As she has all season, sophomore Emily Durgin will lead the Huskies in the distance events. Durgin has posted UConn's best times in both the 3,000 and 5,000 meter runs this year, and also anchors the distance medley relay team.
For the first time ever, the AAC will provide a live stream of the action, which can be found on their website, and results will also be provided in real time on the Armory track website.
Following the championships this weekend, the Huskies will go on to compete in the Eastern Collegiate Athletic Conference in Boston, Mass. on March 8.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- Column: Diaco's energy, attitude breathe new life into UConn
- Football: Diaco 'jacked' to get training camp started with Huskies
- Column: Davis in advantageous position to reach elite level for UConn
- UConn ranks first for gluten free
- #ICYMI Five Things to Know About Today's Title IX Settlement
- UConn Reaches Title IX Settlement
- Women's Soccer: Hill in camp for US ahead of U-20 World Cup
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Erase Strokes From Your Golf Game -- No Pencil Required
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?