Softball: UConn trying to bounce back from losing weekend at Bryant
After dropping two of three games over the weekend to Temple, the UConn softball team will take on Bryant today in Smithfield, RI.
Despite being bookended by quality starts from Lauren Duggan, UConn was only able to take the first game of the weekend series against the Owls with a 5-4 win in 10 innings.
After the win, the Huskies only scored two runs in each of the final two games of the weekend. The Huskies had a combined 10 hits in the final two games and stranded 12 runners on base.
Sophomore left fielder Heather Fyfe capper her phenomenal week at the plate, with a two run home run Saturday to give UConn their only two runs of the game. Fyfe was named to the AAC Weekly Honor Roll after a wheel during which she hit .333 with two home runs and seven RBIs. Fyfe joins fellow sophomore Val Sadowl as the only Huskies to make the Honor Roll this season.
Fyfe and Sadowl will need to continue their offensive output in order to compete with Bryant, who is first in the Northeast Conference. The Bulldogs feature six batters hitting over .300, led by senior shortstop Aubrey Maple, who leads the team with a .358 average and is second on the team with seven home runs.
Sophomore Elle Madsen is a force both at the plate and in the pitcher's circle for Bryant. Madsen has gone 19-9 in the circle, with a 2.99 ERA and 24 complete games. In the batter's box, Madsen's 11 home runs and 31 RBI lead the team, and she is just behind Maple in batting average, hitting .355.
Bryant heads into the game with wins in three of its last four games. The Bulldogs split a doubleheader with Robert Morris last Friday, and then swept a doubleheader against Saint Francis the following day to complete their road trip in Pennsylvania.
First pitch for Conaty Park is scheduled for 4 p.m.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- UConn ranks first for gluten free
- #ICYMI Five Things to Know About Today's Title IX Settlement
- UConn Reaches Title IX Settlement
- Women's Soccer: Hill in camp for US ahead of U-20 World Cup
- 'One Plate, Two Plate' Coming to Student Union for Fall Semester
- Supreme Court reaches landmark decision in Burwell v. Hobby Lobby
- Elizabeth Park in West Hartford
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit