A cappella show worth every note

By Emily Lewson

Eight UConn a cappella groups performed Friday in the Spring 2014 concert, designed to attract new singers for the upcoming auditions.
Although the main point was to showcase the different options available to potential a cappella members, the event attracted a larger crowd.
The Student Union Theater is packed for the show every year, and this year was no different. Before the show, the line winded throughout the Student Union hallway. To get a good seat, some attendees arrived as early as 4:30 p.m. Their dedication was rewarded.
"Although we got here early and the show started late, it was worth every minute," said Danielle Shimkus, an 8th-semester nutritional science major.
Once the groups started performing, they switched fluidly from one to the next.
Each ensemble was allowed two songs, so most groups attempted a slower song and then moved into a faster one.
A few groups understand that the point of the show is to be appealing; these groups entertain the crowd with more than just their voices. Others fell short of what was desired. As a whole, the Rush Concert gave a taste of each group's personality and style.
"Some groups put me to sleep, literally," said Caitlin Malloy, a 4th-semester allied health major. "But the few good groups make up for it every time."
The two most impressive groups started and ended the show. Completely Different Note kicked off the night with a mash-up featuring Imagine Dragon's "Every Night" and Matisyahu's "One Day." The blend was so impeccable, Kimmy Stankus, a 4th-semester psychology and human-development-and-family-studies major, could not tell they were two different songs.
Following this combination, CDN sang "Midnight Train to Georgia." This song has become the iconic performance of the group. With the best choreography of the night, CDN's smooth dance moves engaged the crowd and were reminiscent of a barbershop quartet. Despite the positive response, the group is retiring this classic.
CDN's suit jacket over colored button-ups gave them a classy appearance that relates to their music and enhances their overall performance. Together, they have become an impressive a cappella experience.
Despite CDN's enjoyable performance, the Conn Men closed the show as the best group of the night. Their enthusiasm and voices filled the auditorium, captivating audience members. Their vocal range is unparalleled by any other group and they have the best beat boxer around. The Spring Rush Concert once again demonstrated how easily the Conn Men will out-sing any group on campus.
The Conn Men performed Willie Dixon's "29 Ways" and the Local Natives' "Who Knows Who Cares." Both songs highlighted the group's broad skill-set and were a pleasure to experience. However, as the Conn Men have proved again and again, they could sing any song to an audience's delight.
Auditions to join an a cappella group will take place Monday, Feb. 3, at 6 p.m. in the Music Building.