Women's Hockey Notebook: Despite loss, UConn raises $7,500 for Skating Strides

By Matt Zampini

On Friday night the UConn women's hockey team hosted the Boston University Terriers in a Skating Strides game in which the team sported pink jerseys in support of breast cancer.
The Hockey East Skating Strides program is currently in its eighth season and has raised almost $230,000 for breast cancer in that span. Skating Strides has partnered with the Friends of Mel Foundation since 2008. Mel Simmons, whom the foundation is named after, lost her battle with cancer nearly five years after she was diagnosed.
This season, the UConn women's hockey team raised a total of $7,500.
"The girls did a tremendous job of raising money," assistant coach Jaclyn Hawkins said. "They literally stormed the dorms and went door to door asking for change."
The Terriers opened the scoring at 7:41 of the second period when Lillian Ribeirinha-Braga ripped a shot from the point that found its way through traffic and into the back of the net. Taylor Holze doubled the Terrier's lead with 6:49 left in the third period when she deflected a shot past UConn goalie Elaine Chuli.
UConn battled hard the entire game and was able to cut the lead in half late in the third when Rachel Farrel scored her eighth goal of the season, but the Huskies could not find an equalizer with the goalie pulled to tie the game. Boston University took the first game of the series 2-1.
Although the game did not turn out in the Huskies favor, Friday served a larger purpose.
"It's way bigger than just playing hockey," Hawkins said. "I mean at the end of the day you have four years here to play your sport and live your dream as a student athlete but when you can give back to your community and give back to a cause that effects millions of people, it's doing the right thing and the girls take pride in doing that."
Head coach Chris MacKenzie offered a few thoughts about the Skating Strides program.
"Wonderful accomplishment for our team to raise $7,500 for this, it's something they've done in the past, they really got behind it and I am proud of them," MacKenzie said.
UConn will take place in another Skating Strides game when they visit the University of New Hampshire on Feb. 9.