Men's Track: Huskies compile 15 first-place finishes at Coaches Tribute Invitational in R.I.

By Matt Kren

Different competition, same results as the UConn men's track and field team wins another event in a dominant fashion.
After a first-place finish two weeks ago and multiple top-10 finishes in the unscored Terrier Classic last week, the Huskies had nine top-10 finishes at the Coaches Tribute Invitational and concluded Saturday with 220 points, beating second-place Rhode Island by 121.25 points.
In the competition coach Greg Roy called the team's New England Championship, UConn had 15 first-place finishes. Senior captain Darnell Cummings led the way in the 60-meter dash, his second race of the season, with a time of 6.88 seconds. He was followed by sophomore Trelonni Elliot and freshman Jared Delane, who captured second and third respectively. Fellow senior captain, Cory Duggan won first place in the pole vault competition with a jump of 4.95 meters, finishing ahead of fellow huskies Craig Hunter, Tim Murphy and Connor Grunwald who finished second, third and fourth. Senior captain Eric Masington won first place in the shot put with a throw of 16.81 meters.
In both track and field events, multiple Huskies stepped up with victories and good performances, starting with the 200-meter dash in which freshmen Jared Delane and Patrick Hayes finished in first and second place respectively. In the 400-meter dash, the Huskies captured two first-place finishes, as sophomore Dele Owoye won first place with a time of 50.16 seconds and sophomore Justin Doehr took 10th with a time of 51.27. UConn dominated the 500 meter dash, grabbing the top four places as senior Kyle Twombly got first, freshman Justin Alleyne got second, freshman Chinedu Amonu third and sophomore Robert Hovanec got fourth. Other first-place finishes were grabbed by sophomore Alvaro Chavez in the 1,000-meter run, sophomore Bryan Fowler in the mile run, freshman Randall Wall in the 60-meter hurdles, junior Toby Belton in the high jump, junior Amanze Williams in the triple jump and junior Oluwatusin Edwards in the weight throw. The Huskies also won first place in the distance medley relay and the 4x400 meter relay.
On Saturday, the Huskies will look to win at Penn State in the Sykes Sabock.