The Wonder Years sell out in Times Square

By Matt Gantos

The third week of the Pop Punk's Not Dead series takes us to the heart of the East Coast, Times Square, to take a look at The Wonder Years.
The Philadelphia based band has been gaining a lot of momentum in the past few years after releasing their record "The Greatest Generation" and touring with A Day to Remember and All Time Low last fall.
It was time for The Wonder Years to set out on a tour to call their own and lo-and-behold, they sold out the Best Buy Theatre.
During the show, Daniel "Soupy" Campbell, was doing his "near tears" monologue shtick that he does each show, when he began to recount a story of a certain fan back in 2006 who wanted them to play in New York City.
"We tried so hard to get booked, in every borough, but no one would book us," Soupy said. "We tried so hard, and finally, we got a show in a tiny corridor in Bushwick. But today, today we sold out the Best Buy Theatre in Times Square!"
The Best Buy Theatre itself was a really nice and clean place, atypical for a pop punk show, but there weren't many complaints.
On top of the cleanliness of the theatre, the sound team was also on top of their game. The vocals rang through, even for the opening bands, some of which, like Fireworks, had six members but still didn't drown out the vocals.
That might just be a product of the ownership of the venue.
The Wonder Years took the stage and played a long set, almost 90 minutes. Soupy said that they were so grateful that they got a chance to play some of their oldest material because they had the time, unlike last year when they played a 30 minute set for A Day to Remember.
The night wasn't all about the Wonder Years though, despite their name bolded in lights outside. The tour coordinators did a great job of lining up bands with similar followings. The sets for Real Friends, Fireworks and Citizen each had an active crowd-meaning there were mosh pits, frequent crowd surfing, people jumping and singing along, again atypical for most opening acts.
It's not easy to get where these opening bands are but according to Nick Hamm of Citizen, "You just got a gig...we still play to empty rooms sometimes, but it's being there that counts."
Nothing quite compared to the crowd response to the Wonder Years though. According to Mike Westport, who also went to the show in Philadelphia.
"Especially when they played 'Came Out Swingin'', the Philly crowd was one of the craziest I've ever been in," Westport said.
There were so many people packed into the Best Buy Theatre that night that it was hard to breath. The combination of intense numbers of people, in a small space, all moving around created a disgusting smell and humidity throughout the venue.
But most fans will say its worth it and all just part of the show.