More greek life suspensions surface, 'unusually high'

By Domenica Ghanem

Three more UConn Greek organizations were suspended on April 4 and April 9 due to hazing allegations.
Delta Zeta faces interim suspension for the alleged hazing of men affiliated with a fraternity in an incident at Mansfield Apartments on March 7.
Sigma Chi faces interim suspension for the alleged hazing of men affiliated with Sigma Chi in an off-campus incident on Feb. 28.
According to a letter from Community Standards sent to the president of Delta Zeta, the sorority is under investigation for forcing the men "to consume alcohol, to eat dog treats, to paint their bodies, to wear women's thong underwear and to take shots of alcohol off each other's bodies."
According to a letter sent to the president of Sigma Chi, the fraternity is under investigation for forcing the men to engage in behaviors such as "bobbing for alcohol nips in a toilet, being paddled, eating cat food, being covered with syrup and then flour and forced partial or full nudity."
Delta Gamma also received a letter from Community Standards informing them of their temporary suspension due to information regarding their alleged involvement in the hazing of men affiliated with Sigma Chi.
With the suspensions of Kappa Kappa Gamma and Sigma Alpha Epsilon earlier this semester, five of UConn's Greek organizations have been temporarily suspended this year.
"The number of organizations currently placed on interim suspension is unusually high and may reflect a greater awareness of the resources available at the university to people who have been victims of harmful or degrading treatment," Todd Sullivan, the Director of Fraternity and Sorority Life said.
All Greek organizations are required to go through a Greek 101 educational program where they are notified that the university prohibits hazing. Student leaders are also trained through the mandatory Risk Management Roundtable each semester and must sign an anti-hazing pledge.
The university has not adapted any of its policies since the recent influx of suspensions.
"The alleged behavior is the main issue, not the policies," Sullivan said. "However, these allegations do give us the opportunity to review our education and enforcement of existing policies."
Sullivan said hazing is a problem for many different types of organizations including sports teams, high schools, marching bands and the military.
Nationally, 55 percent of college students involved in clubs, teams and organizations experience hazing, according to hazingprevention.org.
In 95 percent of cases where students identified their experience as hazing, they did not report the events to campus officials, according to the website, a number that may be decreasing at UConn as more students come forward with information.