Gamer's Piece: Why I will always love video games

By Jason Bogdan

Well, it was a fun run these past two years, but I'll soon be graduating, meaning that this week will be my last as a writer for The Daily Campus that includes this column. I'm confident that whoever will take over the video games column will do both a fine job and will come up with a much better title than "Gamer's Piece" that took me a whole two minutes to come up with.

I hope my many reviews and column pieces were at the very least entertaining and informative and my heart goes out to the readers who've enjoyed them. And because I'll be one of those college graduates who needs some soul-searching and resume-distributing time to find an ideal career, I'll definitely have the time to continue writing my silly articles elsewhere. You can see my crazy, 140-character thoughts at my Twitter account of "jason_bogdan," read my (non-paying) freelance work at Psychobuttons.com, and visit my (currently untouched) blog at jasonbogdan.tumblr.com.

Anyway, with this stage of my life now coming to a close like the many other college seniors across the world, one of the things that comes to mind is how even my own daily life will change.

I've been thinking about doing things like getting a gym membership and cutting down the anime watching for only the ones I really want to see-the new Hunter X Hunter series, for example, is one of the few simulcasts I enjoy following and I already pre-ordered the DVD set for delightfully vulgar and stylish Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt. But for my final "gamer's piece" here, I just wanted to talk about how my video game hobby will fare post-graduation.

And honestly, while it may diminish a bit depending on the work load, I don't think I'll ever fully let go of this form of media. No matter what happens to the game industry, video games have and will always be a part of me. It certainly isn't a perfect hobby to have as keeping up with all the software and hardware is expensive, being wholly dedicated is unhealthy, and there is a lot of déjà vu when playing games consecutively.

But at the same time, this is an industry constantly being expanded by creative prowess and overflowing imagination by the year, so it's certainly always interesting. And this interactive entertainment brings people together in multiple ways, and increasingly tests one's intelligence in subjects from strategy to social awareness. But most of all, video games are just fun. It's fun to jump over those koopas, shoot all those aliens, solve all those puzzles, and make all those intense story-based decisions.

Ultimately though, as our lives move forward with plenty more responsibilities at hand, not playing excessively is something that becomes more prescient with age. At the end of the day, video games are a luxury item and should never be taken with more priority than important things like family, work, and health. So while I do believe that video games have no age gaps and can be enjoyed throughout one's lifetime, life itself will always matter more. And with this being my last "gamer's piece" for The Daily Campus, I feel satisfied leaving it off on that note.