Column: I can't believe it

By Colin McDonough

• Colin McDonough, outgoing Associate Sports Editor

UConn has made me say, "I can't believe it," so many times these last four years.

I can't believe I set foot on the Storrs campus with my twin brother Matt. Growing up in Connecticut, it was a dream come true. And at times, I still feel like I'm not smart enough to be here.

I can't believe that Rentschler Field is so far from campus. It makes no sense for the students.

I can't believe the UConn football team started out 5-0 our freshman year. I can kind of believe the Huskies lost five of their last eight, but four players from UConn getting selected in the first two rounds of the next spring's NFL Draft was unbelievable.

I can't believe how tall Hasheem Thabeet looked on campus four years ago. I can't believe how small I am.

I can't believe what an incredible regular season the UConn men had that year. Three years later, the Big East has shown how brutal it can be, even to national championship teams.

I can't believe that game went into six overtimes.

I can't believe the Huskies made the 2009 Final Four. With Jerome Dyson hurt, and a group that became loveable, it was an incredible accomplishment.

But I can't believe they lost to Michigan State.

I can't believe the UConn women's basketball team was so perfect in 2009. And 2010. How cool is it to say your school is so good at something?

I can't believe Thabeet was drafted No. 2 in the NBA Draft. I'm pretty sure some NBA general managers can't believe it either.

I can't believe Jasper Howard is dead. After two and a half years, I still just can't believe it.

I can't believe the resiliency and resolve the university and the football team showed after Howard's death. What the players did on the field and what fans, students and the administration did off the field was unbelievable.

I can't believe the 2010 UConn men didn't make the NCAA tournament. I can't believe I watched that group of Huskies play in the NIT. That team was too good for that.

I can't believe I was allowed to write this weekly column. At times, I still feel like I'm not good enough to have my words printed here.

I can't believe heading into junior year, the football team was considered better than the men's basketball team by some. There were actually preseason expectations of perhaps a BCS bowl and conference championship.

I can't believe I'm talking about our junior year and the UConn women still haven't lost.

I can't believe the Huskies actually met those expectations. Although they finished 8-5, per usual, I can't believe UConn played in the Fiesta Bowl on New Year's Day.

I can't believe Randy Edsall left hours after the game. I can't believe how Edsall left, too.

I can't believe the 2010-2011 UConn men's basketball team. I can't believe Maui, Kemba Walker, five wins in five days and the national championship. Words will never be able to describe it. I'm still smiling because I can't believe it.

I can't believe Maya Moore didn't go out on top. Just doesn't seem right.

I can't believe Matt and I were on an intramural championship basketball team. Thanks guys.

I can't believe Spring Weekend doesn't exist anymore.

I can't believe we got to watch the UConn baseball team on national television last season.

I can't believe it's my senior year. Although in the sports world it may have seemed less eventful, senior years are always special.

I can't believe how much I hate the NCAA. I can't believe America allows such a tyrannical organization to exist.

I can't believe the 2011-2012 version of the UConn men didn't repeat. Or at least come close to doing so. I can't believe the Huskies went 20-14. I'm sure most of us next season will be saying, "I can't believe it," a lot.

I can't believe how much fun it's been. From class to the parties to the bars to The Daily Campus to intramurals to UConn sports games to my friends to my family, I can't believe all that's happened during college. I can't believe I'll be graduating in Gampel Pavilion in a week and a half.

I can't believe at age 18, I landed my dream job. Now at age 21, that dream job is ending. I know I'm supposed to be a journalist, but words can't describe this.

And I can't believe I'm writing this.

I can't believe it's over.