Quintet brings a night of variety

By Zarrin Ahmed
On December 1, 2011

• Center City Brass Quintet members Ko-Ichiro Yamamoto (trombone) and Geoffrey Hardcastle (trumpet) perform at the Jorgensen Thursday night. The program consisted of traditional pieces by Byrd and more recent ones such as selections from Gershwin’s “Porgy and Bess”. ZARRIN AHMED/The Daily Campus

The all-star ensemble Center City Brass Quintet lit up the Jorgensen stage last night with classic brass music pieces.

"They were brilliant. I've heard so much about this group, and it's just amazing that all that talent was on the stage," said Robert Joseph Anderson, a 1st-semester history major. "These musicians are the best of the best. I've always been a fan of instrumental music and I'm accustomed to orchestras with string instruments, but this was new to me. It was a great experience."

The Quintet consists of Anthony DiLorezo and Geoffrey Hardcastle on trumpets, Richard King on the horn, Ko-Ichiro Yamamoto on trombone and Craig Knox on tuba. The five renowned soloists come from some of the nation's finest orchestras and each has his own claim to fame.

Anthony DiLorenzo, a native of Massachusetts, is an Emmy-award-winning composer whose works can be found in movies like "Benji: Off the Leash!" He has appeared as a soloist with the Boston Symphony, Boston Pops and New York Philharmonic.

Goeffrey Hardcastle is second trumpet of the Buffalo Philharmonic. New Yorker Richard King holds the position of principal horn in the Cleveland Orchestra. He began playing the horn at the age of 9 and earned acceptance into Julliard School's Pre-College division.

In addition to being one of the foremost Japanese trombonists of his generation, Ko-Ichiro Yamamoto is the principal trombonist of the Seattle Symphony. Yamamota studied at Julliard and is a faculty member at the University of Washington School of Music. Craig Knox is a Storrs native whose parents are members of Jorgensen's CoStars. He is the Principal Tuba of the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra and artist-lecturer at Carnegie Mellon University.

Despite the widespread geographical locations of these artists, they still find time in their busy schedules as soloists in other orchestras to piece together the Center City Brass Quintet. Because of the difficulty in working around each member's schedule, the quintet performs a limited number of recitals throughout the United States each year.

The group began the night with "Earl of Oxford March," a composition that resembled its name in glory and boldness. They then performed three parts of the "Quintet No. 1 in Bb" by Victor Ewald. This piece began with a slow haunting and eerie tone that eventually gave way to a faster paced tempo, and ended on the same sorrowful as it begun with.

Before the next song, Knox introduced the crowd to the mutes each musician had: a device that softens the sound of each instrument. Each member showed off their mutes in a sort of competition (Knox's tuba mute won the contest by far). The Quintet then played "Four Sketches," a piece written by Anthony Plog before the Intermission. The concert ended with the pieces "Suite From the Monterigian Hills," "Dance Suite" and selections from "Porgy and Bess."