UConn outclasses Marquette in 94-37 victory

Huskies beat Marquette at Gampel Pavilion

By Tyler R. Morrissey

The No. 3 UConn women's basketball team defeated the Marquette Golden Eagles 94-37 in a game where the Huskies could not be stopped from behind the arc.
Sophomore Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis led the Huskies with 22 points on the night, just five short of her career high of 27. Lewis also shot well from behind the arc, sinking five of the six that she attempted. Head coach Geno Auriemma was pleased with the performance of Lewis and strived to keep her on the court as long as he could.
"When she's in the game, it's almost like I never want to take her out," said Auriemma. "You talk about somebody I never want out of the game; I never want her out the game, ever. Tonight she didn't commit one foul. I want it to be like that all year."
UConn guard Bria Hartley also posted one of her best performances of the season, as she tied her career high of 20 points in a game. Hartley also grabbed four rebounds on the night and is looking to continue to be consistent for the rest of her teammates for the rest of the season.
"It picks you up a lot and you just have to build off it," said Hartley. "You can have one game like this and you still have to work on being more consistent and being someone that my teammates can count on every night."
Marquette scored the first three points of the game but it was all UConn after that as the Golden Eagles turned the ball over three times in the first three minutes. Things did not improve for Marquette as they missed their next nine shots.
The Huskies were able to capitalize on the Golden Eagles' misfortune by making 12 straight shots which included two back to back three pointers from UConn guard Caroline Doty. Doty went a perfect 4-4 from three point range in the 21 minutes she was on the court. Auriemma had no problem leaving Doty in the game due to her positive performance on the floor.
"She's a senior and when she's playing well and enjoying it like she did tonight I want her to get every last bit out of it that she can," said Auriemma. "I want her to experience it because it's the last time. So when it's bad I want to get her out because I don't want her to suffer and when it's good I want to leave her in because I want her to enjoy it."
UConn took a comfortable 62-17 lead into the locker room at halftime and would only continue to build off of their commanding lead until the end of the game. All five of UConn's starters finished the game with 11 points or more and six Huskies finished the night with double figures. The Huskies made 15 of the 23 three-pointers they attempted which is second for the most three-pointers in game in team history.
Center Stefanie Dolson, who played in her first game back after missing the game against St. John's, scored 15 points, including one three-pointer. After the game Dolson said that she was happy to see her teammates shoot well from behind the arc.
"We just did a great job of either turning them over or getting easy transitions," said Dolson. "When they made a shot we got the ball out quickly and ran our offense quickly. To see them shoot the ball that well gives us a really good feeling this time of year."
The Huskies will be back in action this Sunday when they face DePaul at Gampel Pavilion. Tip-off is scheduled for 3:30 p.m. and the game will be televised on ESPNU.