Husky Grab & Go has much to offer

New campus store contains unique products

By Michael McGuigan

• Husky Grab & Go, one of UConn’s newest stores, is located at 1232 Storrs Road, sharing its complex with DP Dough, Randy’s Wooster Street Pizza and other businesses. The store offers items both common, like most snacks, and unique, like hard-boiled duck eggs. Kevin Scheller / The Daily Campus

Last semester, local entrepreneur Gias Ahamad opened Husky Grab & Go, a convenience store that provides a wide array of goods and services in demand by UConn students. Located at 1232 Storrs Road, above DP Dough, Husky Grab and Go provides customers with ample parking, something Ahamad believes makes his store more convenient than competitors. 

Like any convenience store, Husky Grab & Go offers a plethora of goods that cater specifically to the needs of college students, ranging from ramen noodles to tobacco-based products. 

However, the store offers several goods and services not available elsewhere. For example, Ahamad sometimes stocks his ATM with a fifty-dollar bill so customers can win thirty dollars if they make a lucky withdrawal. 

Husky Grab & Go also adequately stocks a wide variety of cooking supplies commonly used in Asian cooking in order to supply international students with the items they need to prepare meals the way they do at home. One example is the hard-boiled duck eggs that Husky Grab & Go offers.    

The store stocks a wide variety of tobacco products, which Ahamad insists are cheaper than those of competitors. In addition, Husky Grab & Go will soon be adding beer to the range of products it supplies.      

Husky Grab & Go also offers a variety of snacks and beverages, ranging from chips to health snacks for today's weight conscious snacker on the go. Any size of coffee can be purchased for 99 cents. A variety of other drinks are also sold for 99 cents apiece. One such beverage carried is energy coffee, which according to Ahamad can provide the extra boost students need while studying. 

Husky Grab & Go also stocks cleaning goods to allow students to keep their dorms and apartments clean and orderly. The store also stocks some basic car care products for students who drive. The store's hours of operation are from 6 a.m. to 12 a.m.