Six former Huskies grab spots on U.S. women's Olympic squad

The Storrs Side

By Andrew Callahan

Last Monday, Ashja Jones joined Diana Taurasi, Sue Bird, Swin Cash, Tina Charles and Maya Moore as a member of the U.S. Olympic team set to compete in London this summer. The former Huskies will be reunited with coach Geno Auriemma, who steered the USA club to a 2010 FIBA world championship nearly two years ago. Jones was selected for the twelfth and final spot on the squad.

"It's an honor," Jones told usabasketball.com. "My mom, everyone in my family is so excited for me. I think it's exciting how people respond to you when you tell them. A lot of people want to cry. Just to see the way people react to the news is really special. I'm really excited. I'm so excited to be a part of this."

The half-Husky team is largely completed by two former Tennessee Volunteers, Tamika Catchings and Candace Parker, in addition to a pair of old LSU Tigers, Sylvia Fowles and Semoine Augustus. The other members are Lindsay Whalen and Angel McCoughtry, formerly of Minnesota and Louisville respectively.

The U.S. team notched a perfect 5-0 record over the 2008 Olympics in Beijing en route to scoring 215 more points than their opponents. The Americans knocked off Australia 92-65 in the gold medal game after racing to a 47-30 halftime lead. Russia and China battled for the bronze before the Russians topped the hosting Chinese 94.81. The U.S. defeated the eventual third-place finishers in the semifinals behind a team-high 21 points from Taurasi. Six of the twelve players from the Beijing squad have returned in 2012.

The Americans will be searching for their fifth consecutive gold medal, dating back to the 1988 team coached by current DePaul head coach Doug Bruno. The U.S. team has been perfect over the previous five years and will see Bruno back on the bench as an assistant on Auriemma's staff.