Six former Huskies grab spots on U.S. women's Olympic squad
The Storrs Side
Last Monday, Ashja Jones joined Diana Taurasi, Sue Bird, Swin Cash, Tina Charles and Maya Moore as a member of the U.S. Olympic team set to compete in London this summer. The former Huskies will be reunited with coach Geno Auriemma, who steered the USA club to a 2010 FIBA world championship nearly two years ago. Jones was selected for the twelfth and final spot on the squad.
"It's an honor," Jones told usabasketball.com. "My mom, everyone in my family is so excited for me. I think it's exciting how people respond to you when you tell them. A lot of people want to cry. Just to see the way people react to the news is really special. I'm really excited. I'm so excited to be a part of this."
The half-Husky team is largely completed by two former Tennessee Volunteers, Tamika Catchings and Candace Parker, in addition to a pair of old LSU Tigers, Sylvia Fowles and Semoine Augustus. The other members are Lindsay Whalen and Angel McCoughtry, formerly of Minnesota and Louisville respectively.
The U.S. team notched a perfect 5-0 record over the 2008 Olympics in Beijing en route to scoring 215 more points than their opponents. The Americans knocked off Australia 92-65 in the gold medal game after racing to a 47-30 halftime lead. Russia and China battled for the bronze before the Russians topped the hosting Chinese 94.81. The U.S. defeated the eventual third-place finishers in the semifinals behind a team-high 21 points from Taurasi. Six of the twelve players from the Beijing squad have returned in 2012.
The Americans will be searching for their fifth consecutive gold medal, dating back to the 1988 team coached by current DePaul head coach Doug Bruno. The U.S. team has been perfect over the previous five years and will see Bruno back on the bench as an assistant on Auriemma's staff.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- Column: Diaco's energy, attitude breathe new life into UConn
- Football: Diaco 'jacked' to get training camp started with Huskies
- Column: Davis in advantageous position to reach elite level for UConn
- UConn ranks first for gluten free
- #ICYMI Five Things to Know About Today's Title IX Settlement
- UConn Reaches Title IX Settlement
- Women's Soccer: Hill in camp for US ahead of U-20 World Cup
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Raising Autism Awareness for Better Lives
- Erase Strokes From Your Golf Game -- No Pencil Required
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?