Tough loss in Big East Tournament ends UConn's season

By Nate Zielinski

UConn men's tennis went in to the Big East Championships with positive mindset after impressive play down the stretch of the season that resulted in a big win over Sacred Heart. However, this late success did not translate into positive results in the Big East tournament.

UConn drew rival Villanova, a team that they had played and lost to earlier this season in the first round. Ryan Carr and Matt Burns were able to take care of business in their doubles match winning 8-5, but the normally reliable duos that consist of Jacob Spreyer and Scott Warden as well as Dave Adams and Wei Lin fell 8-5 and 8-6 respectively. Down 1-0 early and knowing they would need a huge rally to turn the match around Scott Warden attempted to get the ball rolling. He stormed out with nearly flawless first set winning it 6-1. Unfortunately, his opponent, Thomas O'Brien rose to the challenge and won the next set 6-3 forcing a third and decisive set. Warden was able to get to get it to 5-5, but O'Brien shifted gears and took the next two games winning 7-5. This was a disappointing end to Scott Warden's career at UConn, but he fought until the last point and represented the school well.

As for the other senior, Dave Adams, he was able to end his collegiate career with a huge victory that got UConn on the board. He was in the number three singles match, and had the clear advantage against his opponent. Adams made quick work of his opponent with a straight set, 6-3, 6-2 win. As for Jacob Spreyer and Wei Lin, the two players who are looking to be leaders for UConn in the future, were forced to deal with the same tough defeat as their teammate Scott Warden. Spreyer, who was in the number two singles slot also got off to a hot start winning his first set 6-4. After a disappointing second set where he couldn't win a game, Spreyer eventually lost in three sets. Lin lost a tough first set 7-5 and was unable to finish the match while trailing in the second set 5-6. This loss will sting for the team because losses like these have been a recurring theme. The Huskies have been so close numerous times and usually came up on the short end of it.

The match ended up 4-1 in Villanova's favor and resulted in an early exit for the Huskies. They end with a 3-10 record this spring but season's like this build character and the future is looking bright for the UConn tennis program.