Action Sports Column: "I'll be seeing you..."

By Danielle Ennis

• Kevin Burns and the Huskies will continue their run toward the postseason Saturday. Brett Mickelson

Four years ago I enrolled at this university with the intent of becoming a journalist. Though much has changed, that has never wavered. I discovered that my inability to sit still does not bode well for a writer's life, but I'm willing to hop off my skis once in a while to share the stories of sports. Because it's what I love.

For everyone who told me that the profession is dying, I hope you can see that the words are alive and our spirits are high.

For the best friend who told me I'd need coffee to write, I hope you can see that your constant encouragement was my caffeine.

For the professors that said there's no importance of a bouncing ball, I hope you can see the purpose of heart.

Because above the box score and the statistics, there are those intangibles. The stuff that surpasses numbers and embodies all that is human. Success. Despair. Loyalty. Heartbreak. I've written about death and I've written about the youth; about progression and milestones. The things we face every day are seen on the court and the fields, spilling over into the stands and the fans and the parking lots. Sports are community. Sports are life. There, I said it.

If I was able to deliver that message to you readers, I'm grateful. Thanks to the friends who told me I could write, the family that shamelessly boasted, and to the professor that gave me food to fuel my brain and the courage to be proud. I owe it to the athletes who gave me the entertainment and material. And, of course, to the Daily Campus for harboring a place for ideas to flourish.

If you have a sharpened pencil, a bag of candy, and the willingness to speak your mind in ink, then you can write. Your words will take you to places your wallet never could.

I'm leaving this university with no cash, no job, and no plans, but I have the faith that my adventures will craft my writing and the knowledge that who I've met here will continue to feed my passion for the written word.

And where we will end up is unwritten, like my research papers due tomorrow.

Too often, we are looking for people and objects to project our lives. We can all read horoscopes and shake the magic 8 ball; Order Chinese food for the Fortune cookies and pay fortune tellers. We type up our resume - a page of accolades and accomplishments of the past and think they determine our future. But, I hope we all leave here with the only certainty being that - although there might no longer be classmates or teammates - there will always be people.

They'll amaze and astound us. While they're here with us, they make us happy and grateful. When they leave, they make us reflect. They make us think. They make us write.

Think about everyone you've met in the course of your time here. It didn't matter if it was Homer Babbidge or Ted's Bar, people surrounded us. And we learned from them. That won't escape us either. It is found in our interactions with people, in every day presenting itself with any possibility of friends, or at the least, a conversation.

And it's just that that will hopefully keep newspapers and print thriving for years to come. The shift in the new medium can't replace thought or human contact. We have witnessed and activated progression as a whole. From Tweety Bird to twitter, our lives have been inextricably changed. And we can't say what happens next. I'd love to melt all the clocks and stay here for a while. But the thing people forget about time--amidst all the worries of it being fleeting or ticking, or our enemy - is that it's yours.

Thanks for taking that time to read.