UConn falls to UNC 4-3 in double overtime

UNC scores two goals in final minute of regulation to stun Huskies

By Carmine Colangelo
On November 18, 2011

• Forward Lindsay Kissinger faces off against Syracuse on Oct. 23. ASHLEY POSPISIL/The Daily Campus

LOUISVILLE – The UConn field hockey team's 2011 season comes to end at the Final Four in Louisville as the Huskies were defeated by No. 1 North Carolina 4-3 in double overtime.

The Huskies were a barely minute from advancing to the national championship game before UNC rallied. Holding a 3-1 lead with less than 90 seconds to play, the Tar Heels scored two quick goals to force overtime. Carrying all the momentum, UNC finished the job in the second overtime period, as Kelsey Kolojejchick scored the game winner.

"We are tremendously proud of our effort today," said head coach Nancy Stevens. "Obviously we are terribly disappointed not to win, but really proud of the effort."

It was a tale of two halves for the No. 5 Huskies as all three of their goals came in the first half. The Huskies scored the game's opening goal 14:35 into the first half as forward Marie Elena Bolles deflected a long pass from midfielder Cara Silverman into the goal. She would score again just over eight minutes later off of another deflection. Bolles finished the season with 12 goals.

"They were all unselfish goals that I just happened to be there to tip in because my teammates did the hard work," Bolles said.

The Huskies would score again in the half as forward Anne Jeute scored a deflection off of a direct flick from back Jestine Angelini. Jeute finished the season the season with a team-high 15 goals. The Huskies ended the first half up 3-0.

"I think what happens is if you are down 3-0 you need to push forward," Stevens said. "Clearly this is what happens when you have two good teams playing and when someone is behind they are going to push forward."

The Tar Heels scored their first goal of the game midway through the second half when Kolojejchick beat UConn goalkeeper Sarah Mansfield. Kolojejchick scored two goals in the game and leads her team with 23 goals on the season. Around the time of their first goal, the Tar Heels also pulled their goalkeeper, giving them a one-player advantage on the field. They would continue this tactic for the remainder of the half, which helped change the tide of the game and helped set up their two goals in the last minute of regulation.

In regulation the Huskies were out cornered 15-1 as well as outshot 22-6. The Huskies did not record a single shot in the second half.

The first period of overtime had no scoring, but the Tar Heels closed out the first period of overtime with two penalty corners as time expired. The Huskies were able to thwart both efforts, moving them into the second period of overtime. But just over eight minutes into the second period of overtime, Kolojejchick ended the Huskies 2011 campaign with a reverse chip over goalkeeper Mansfield, who finished the game with 19 saves.