Estée Lauder reps give advice on hiring process

By Jimmy Onofrio
On December 1, 2011

• Estée Lauder representative Judy Stewart speaks to students from the School of Business at the last 30-20-10 lecture of the semester. Stewart suggested taking advantage of social networking sites. JONATHAN KULAKOFSKY/The Daily Campus

The School of Business Career Center enticed students to its last 30-20-10 Lecture of the semester with a mystery company billed as "a dynamic N.Y. based technologically advanced, innovative company with a worldwide reputation for elegance, luxury and superior quality."

Almost 40 students attended the presentation Thursday in the lecture hall of the Classroom Building. The intro slide on the PowerPoint did not identify the company, but showed its 40 percent stock growth over the last 12 months.

One presenter introduced herself as Judy Stewart, and said that her company is headquartered in New York City, with production facilities on Long Island. The company was then revealed: Estée Lauder Companies, the Manhattan cosmetic giant.

Stewart is a human resources manager and has been employed by Estée Lauder for over 20 years. Accompanying her were Abigail Hoke, a 2009 graduate of Hofstra, and Bil Vesce, a 2011 University of Denver graduate. Their presentation was titled "Getting Your Foot In the Door: Tools, Tips and Advice on Getting Hired."

The 30-20-10 Lecture Series brings executives and professionals from major corporations to Storrs, with two goals in mind. The companies share information about their own hiring practices and corporate goals, giving students an intimate look at possible employers. Then the professionals share the secrets and tips they have learned in their years in the business world.

The focus of Thursday's lecture was social media. Sites like Facebook and LinkedIn are the most important tools for today's applicants in the job-search process, said Stewart. Traditional job boards, and companies like Monster, provide too much competition for applicants to get noticed.

Social media is a vital part of maintaining your professional network. "Reach out to your second-level contacts on LinkedIn," said Stewart. Second-level contacts are like people with whom you have mutual friends on Facebook, but have not added as friends. Stewart stressed the value of connecting with people who have over 1000 friends on Facebook and LinkedIn.

Citing the book "Social Media for Dummies," she called these people "hubs." "They probably won't have a job for you, but they might know someone who does," she said.

Hoke and Vesce offered their insights as recent graduates who have used social media in their application processes. Hoke said it is very important to be aware of your appearance. "You might meet someone at a restaurant or basketball game or in the subway that will get you to your next job lead. Be put together, professional, and polite," she said.

Stewart used Vesce as an example of how to get noticed in a more traditional paper application process. She reviewed his application herself, and said he used a Quick Response (QR) code at the top of his resumé that linked to his LinkedIn.

All three presenters agreed that making yourself stand out is the most important part of the job process, whether that be through a unique resumé, a strong recommendation or in the interview.

They also agreed that job-seekers need to remain flexible. Vesce said that growing up playing sports he never would have imagined working for a company like Esteé Lauder. A company's brand image is not necessarily an indication of its work culture.

This lecture concluded the 30-20-10 series for the fall. There will be more lectures in the spring.