Workshop teaches about writing updated citations

By Alie Garry
On November 13, 2012

• UConn alum Jake Pomerantz attends the lecture, “Demystifying Citations,” at the Homer Babbidge Library on Tuesday Night. The workshop was offered as part of a series of writing workshops that are held every Tuesday. CORYN WASSIK/The Daily Campus

The Homer Babbidge Library offered a workshop for UConn students on Tuesday who hoped to finally understand the frustrating and complicated nature of academic citations.

The lecture "Demystifying Citations" is one in a series of classes that the library offers to students every Tuesday night. The program is called, "The Real College Survival Guide" and goes over everything that a college student needs to know, from resume writing and time management, to learning how to make interactive maps.

Joelle Thomas, Undergraduate User Experience and Media Technology Librarian, is the coordinator for the program and is teaching several of the workshops. She said that the program was started last spring by Kathy Labrador with great success and has been continued.

Citations are a key part of any undergrad's academic experience and one of the more frustrating pieces of academic writing to understand, the reason being that there are several different styles that are changing every couple of years. Thomas points out that the reason citations change is also due to the types of sources that are used. "The most commonly asked question is, how do I cite a YouTube video?"

Thomas showed how citations are keeping up with technology by showing a recent update by MLA on how to cite a tweet.
Thomas showed students different resources to help with citations, refworks.com is a resource available to all UConn students that will import citations from databases automatically into your bibliography.

The Library offers workshops every Tuesday night at 7 p.m. They will continue after the Thanksgiving break.