Eco-fair shows how to be a green Husky

By Deepti Boddapati

• A member of the UConn Dairy Club shows a cow at the UConn Office of Environmental Policy Eco-fair held on Fairfield Way on Thursday afternoon. Numerous on- and off-campus organizations were also featured throughout the day. NATALIA PYLYPYSZYN/The Daily Campus

The Office of Environmental Policy hosted an Eco-fair yesterday, where a variety of UConn groups and private organizations showcases their sustainability efforts on and around campus.

Some UConn organizations who tabled were EcoHusky, EcoGarden, and Ecohouse. The EcoHusky table featured student -based efforts to make the campus more sustainable. One of the things they show cases was single-stream recycling. Although UConn recycling has several bins meant for different materials, all recyclables can actually be put in the same bin. Because recycling companies sort materials places in the bin, pre-sorting is not required. The EcoHusky table also shows about the composting initiative on campus. Currently, Whitney, Buckley, and South Dinning Halls compost their waste. EcoHusky is pushing to get all the dining halls to compost and has installed a scale in Mcmahon to record how much food is thrown out. EcoHusky aims to make people more aware of food wastage, and encourages students to only take as much as they will eat.

The Office of Environmental Policy also tabled. They showcased President Herbst's sustainability commitment to make the campus carbon neutral by 2050 and encouraged everyone to sign it. They also presents UConn's new pledge to become a world leader in helping affected areas adapt to climate change. UConn is one of the first universities to do this. Shenyo also encouraged students to visit the Sustainable Depictions Artshow in the basement of the library before it closes on Sunday.

At the EcoGarden table students helped visitors plant radishes in biodegradable pots made out of paper. The pots could then be planted directly in the soil since they would degrade naturally. The EcoGarden club grows many vegetables for Whitney on two -thirds of an acre of land off route 195.

Some non-Uconn based organizations that tabled were Willimantic Waste Paper Company, Barefoot Books, and People's Products. Willimantic Waste Paper Company manages all of Uconn's waste and recycling. Ben DeVivo, Willimantic Waste Paper Company marketing assistant, said that the company sorts recyclables and ships them all over the world including China and Canada.

Barefoot Books, of East Granby, showed that green choices exist everywhere with their eco-friendly children's books. The books are printed on ancient forrest friendly paper and soy -based ink. The games, sold by Barefoot Books, are made out of recycled materials. With titles like Herb the Vegetarian Dragon, Kid's Garden, and What is this? A Seed Story, the books also teach children to be eco-friendly and accepting of diversity.

People's Products, a company based in Newington, advertised their Hr-40 windows which insulated 50 percent more than the amount required to earn an Energy Star rating. Although many students don't own houses, the trip was profitable for the representative because she had met one student who was a strong hiring candidate.