Huskies improve to 11-10 after winning three over break
The UConn softball team went 3-4 in games across New York and Connecticut during break, bringing their overall record to 11-10 on the season.
The Huskies had opened the season with three weekend trips to Florida, where UConn went 8-6, but will not return to Florida until May for the Big East Tournament and will only play as far south as Kentucky during the rest of the regular season.
The Huskies opened the week's schedule on Long Island, where they participated in the Hofstra Invitational against Hofstra and Central Connecticut. UConn played each team twice, losing both games to Hofstra while sweeping CCSU.
Alyson Ambler and Kiki Saveriano were the winning pitchers for the Huskies in those two games. Saveriano moved to 7-2 on the season with the win against CCSU in the final game of the weekend, allowing only two runs on six hits while going the distance for the Huskies.
UConn was supposed to play back-to-back games at Sacred Heart and Quinnipiac in the middle of the week, but the weather would not cooperate, pushing the games back.
After the cancellations, UConn went to Fairfield University for a double-header, where they were swept by the Stags. The Huskies came back in the first game before ultimately falling 4-3, but were then shut down in the second game, losing 5-0.
On Sunday, the Huskies made up their game against Sacred Heart, defeating the Pioneers 1-0 in eight innings.
With two outs in the eighth inning, Maddy Schiappa stole second, putting her in position to score the winning run on a double by Emily O'Donnell. Saveriano got the shutout victory, improving to 8-3 on the season.
After 21 games away from Storrs, the Huskies will play their first home game on Wednesday at 3:30 p.m. against Quinnipiac.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- Column: Diaco's energy, attitude breathe new life into UConn
- Football: Diaco 'jacked' to get training camp started with Huskies
- Column: Davis in advantageous position to reach elite level for UConn
- UConn ranks first for gluten free
- #ICYMI Five Things to Know About Today's Title IX Settlement
- UConn Reaches Title IX Settlement
- Women's Soccer: Hill in camp for US ahead of U-20 World Cup
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Erase Strokes From Your Golf Game -- No Pencil Required
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?