Huskies improve to 11-10 after winning three over break

By Tim Fontenault

The UConn softball team went 3-4 in games across New York and Connecticut during break, bringing their overall record to 11-10 on the season.
The Huskies had opened the season with three weekend trips to Florida, where UConn went 8-6, but will not return to Florida until May for the Big East Tournament and will only play as far south as Kentucky during the rest of the regular season.
The Huskies opened the week's schedule on Long Island, where they participated in the Hofstra Invitational against Hofstra and Central Connecticut. UConn played each team twice, losing both games to Hofstra while sweeping CCSU.
Alyson Ambler and Kiki Saveriano were the winning pitchers for the Huskies in those two games. Saveriano moved to 7-2 on the season with the win against CCSU in the final game of the weekend, allowing only two runs on six hits while going the distance for the Huskies.
UConn was supposed to play back-to-back games at Sacred Heart and Quinnipiac in the middle of the week, but the weather would not cooperate, pushing the games back.
After the cancellations, UConn went to Fairfield University for a double-header, where they were swept by the Stags. The Huskies came back in the first game before ultimately falling 4-3, but were then shut down in the second game, losing 5-0.
On Sunday, the Huskies made up their game against Sacred Heart, defeating the Pioneers 1-0 in eight innings.
With two outs in the eighth inning, Maddy Schiappa stole second, putting her in position to score the winning run on a double by Emily O'Donnell. Saveriano got the shutout victory, improving to 8-3 on the season.
After 21 games away from Storrs, the Huskies will play their first home game on Wednesday at 3:30 p.m. against Quinnipiac.