Men's Track and Field: UConn wins New England Challenge

By Matt Kren

Over the weekend, the UConn men's track and field team competed in their final home meet, the New England Challenge. UConn won the meet with 14 first place finishes, totaling 111 points which was more than enough to beat second place Southern Connecticut State with 60, and third place University of Rhode Island which amassed 23. Senior Captain Darnell Cummings and Freshman Patrick Hayes led the way and finished first and second, respectively, in both the 100 meter and 200 meter dash. The 400, 800, 1500 and 5000 meter races were all won by the Huskies as sophomore Robert Rhodes captured first in the 400, senior Paul DeSalvo finished first in the 800. Junior Phillip Caldwell won in the 1500 and finally freshman Ned Wilson in the 5000 meter. Following the same trend, both relay events were won by the Huskies as the 4x100m team of freshman Chinedu Amonu, senior Darnell Cummings, freshman Patrick Hayes and sophomore Robert Hovanec posted a winning time of 41.38. The 4x400m team of freshman Chinedu Amonu, sophomore Robert Hovanec, sophomore Aaeron Sykes and sophomore Robert Rhodes won first place with the time of 3:17.08.
In the field events, five different Huskies captured first place. Junior Brian Eilers took first in the javelin throw with a throw of 63.71 meter. Sophomore Harley Lacroix and sophomore John Landis finished first and second in the long jump, while freshman Craig Hunter won the pole vault. The other two first place finishes were grabbed by Senior captain Eric Masington in the discus throw, followed by freshman Matthew Graziano and senior Jesse Chapman in second and fourth, while junior Tobey Belton finished first in the high jump.
Next week the huskies will be traveling to Philadelphia to compete in the Penn Relays, a three-day event which features many of the top teams in the Northeast.