Softball: UConn drops two out of three against Temple at home

By Spencer Mayfield

The UConn softball team lost their weekend series against the Temple Owls in Storrs this weekend. The Huskies won game one 5-4 in 10 innings and lost games two and three by a score of 4-2 and 3-2.
Game one of the series was a pitching duel between UConn starting pitcher Lauren Duggan and Temple's starting pitcher Kelsey Dominik.
The Owls struck first in the top of the first inning when Sarah Prezioso started off the game with a double. Leah Lucas hit an RBI double two batters later that scored Prezioso.
The Huskies responded in the bottom of the first inning when Audrey Grinnell reached on an error that scored Valerie Sadowl. Both teams went scoreless in the second inning.
Temple was able to get back on the board in the top of the third inning when Prezioso hit a solo homerun. But once again UConn responded with a rally in the bottom of the third inning.
Emily O'Donnell led off the inning with a single, and Sadowl got on base with a walk. Alyson Ambler cleared the bases with a three run homerun that gave UConn a two run lead.
Temple was able to get a run back in the top of the fourth and the top of the seventh to force extra innings. Duggan settled down in extra innings and only allowed one hit in the eight, ninth and tenth innings combined. UConn coach Karen Mullins was impressed by Duggan's 10-inning effort on the mound.
"We are really pleased, we felt like she got stronger as the game went on and that was good to see," Mullins said. "She really gutted it out for us so we are pleased with her performance today."
The big hit finally came for UConn in the bottom of the 10th inning when Dominique Pinto hit an RBI single that scored Sadowl. Duggan earned her seventh win of the year and Mullins was proud of the way the team rallied around Duggan.
"We had opportunities and we just weren't finishing things and she hung in there," Mullins said. "I feel like everybody did rally around her because they knew she pitched a great game and we were knocking on the door and just had to get through. It was a good win for us."
In game two, the Huskies took an early lead in the bottom of the first inning after a sacrifice fly from Ambler scored Maddy Schiappa. Temple took the lead back when they scored two runs off of Kayla Doty in the top of the third inning.
The Owls added two more insurance runs off of relief pitcher Ambler in the top of the seventh inning. Temple held on to win the game after the UConn rally fell short in the bottom of the seventh inning.
Despite the loss, Mullins was pleased with the contributions the team received from Ambler, who had an RBI and pitched three innings in relief.
"Alyson Ambler did some things for us offensively and she came in and threw some tough innings for us so that was nice to see," Mullins said.
Game three was a rematch between Duggan and Dominik on the mound, but this time Dominik won the pitcher's duel for Temple.
Dominik allowed a two-run homerun to Heather Fyfe in the bottom of the second inning but that would be all the scoring for the Huskies.
Temple tied the game up in the top of the sixth inning and took the lead in the top of the seventh when Devynne Nelons hit an RBI double that gave the Owls a one run lead.